Monday 1 June 2020

Eden Place and Beamish Woods - Our First Walk in 95 Days



Now this. This is an old school Danielle style blog post. I used to always share the obscene amount of photos I took on my little day trips, museum visits and explorations in the woods. Recently, those kinds of days have taken a drastic decline. In fact, until the 27th of this month when the photos I am about to share were taken, it had been 95 days since our previous adventure...cue sad music.

I have to say though that I am extremely appreciative of the fact we have a proper garden now - the nicest I've ever really had, it's meant that I can still listen to the birds, breathe in air and soak in the sun, which is more than some people have had the opportunity to do lately.

To be honest, I still didn't really want to go out as of now. But if I don't start going somewhere soon I don't think I ever will...I'm pretty sure I won't be going in many (if any) shops ever again, which isn't a loss because I rarely did anyway and hated it when I did.

Back to the subject at hand though! Last Wednesday we set an alarm, got up at around 5ish and headed out in the car towards one of our favourite places - Beamish Open Air Museum. Obviously, that was not our destination, though there are some stunning woodlands right on its doorstep which we had ventured into for the first time in December. There are numerous trails, including the Coast to Coast cycle route so with that and being out so early we were able to avoid spying many other humans. Come take a look at how beautiful the place is...



Yes, that is a Cockrell walking along the path before us in the first photo! Goodness knows where he'd come from but he was on a mission and knew where he was heading haha. If you look closely there is also a Robin and a Blackbird in that photo and I didn't even realize at the time. As we started on the path we took the opposite direction to that which we had taken before, as we we're hunting for a Geocache! This meant we didn't only waste a good 45minutes searching through overgrown nettles and cleavers to no avail, but I also didn't really take any photos until we're off that path. As you'll see from the images above, however, it wasn't until the second part of our hike where things got more magical anyway.
Mr H was over the moon when we came upon the area by the stream, not due to his love for tiny bridges and babbling brooks, but because of all the wild garlic that he presently set himself upon!
Over the 2 hours 15minutes we were out, we ambled just under a 3-mile loop. We listened to plenty of birds, spoke to a few squirrels and got to get back in touch with our pal Mother Nature.
This used to be our normal life. It's nice more people are connecting with the natural world during this 'lockdown' time but I feel many don't understand or appreciate it properly. Selfishly, I don't want the worlds 'new normal' to affect my enjoyment of the outside world nor the health of planet due to littering, scaring off wildlife etc...but we'll soon see once shopping centres and coffee shops are open again if the nature noobs disperse or stick around. What are your thoughts? Am I crazy?

Enough rambling! This is about the photos. Hope you enjoyed.




No comments:

Post a Comment