Friday 24 March 2023

40 Before 40


Life moves fast! So fast. This year I'll be turning 33 but inside I still feel like a child. 33 means another step toward 40 and that makes me feel sick. I'm petrified of mortality, of dying at any time but especially young and without having lived life. 

Now that I'm married (something I'd never actually wanted to do) more than ever I want to live the life I've dreamt of. To help motivate me to go to the places I long to visit, to experience the things I'd love to experience, and to get closer to that unattainable 'happiness', I've put together a 40 Before 40 list.
Hopefully, in the next 7 and a half years I can tick as many of these items off the list as possible, I've actually already managed a couple!

In no particular order, I hope to...


Finally have our Honeymoon
We married on October 31st 2019 and in January of 2020 we booked our Halloween Honeymoon at Disneyland Paris to coincide
with my 30th Birthday and our first anniversary. Of course, 2020 was the deleted year and it didn't go ahead.
We are yet to rebook a Honeymoon.

Go Nessie Spotting at Loch Ness 

Stay in a Hobbit Hole
We did it!
Some photos and a video can be found here, with lots more blog posts still to come.

Visit the Fairies in Cottingley Woods

Go on a Scandinavian Cruise 

Do Disneyland Paris with Mr H
I visited in 1990, 2010, 2014, 2016, 2017, and 2018, however, Mr H hasn't been to DLP and most importantly we haven't had the joy of being there together.
Maybe this will be our Honeymoon, maybe it won't.

Ski Again
I last skied as a pre-teen on a school trip at Courmayeur, Northern Italy which was over half my life ago now.
I'd love to do it again in Aviemore, Scotland.

Travel on some Steam Trains
(From Goathland Station, The Jacobite - Fort William To Mallaig Return, from Oakworth Station)

Take Baker Camping
Done! See some photos here. We hope to take him again this year.

Go to Monkey World again
Another place I visited as a teen but I'd love to revisit it now.
It being at the opposite end of the country to us does make it quite the journey though so more effort and cost than just a day out. 



See the Northern Lights

Go Bowling and Play Mini Golf with Mr H

See the Dolphins in Berwick
Born and raised in Berwick I have been lucky enough to see many species of bird, seals and even otters in and around the river and sea.
However, although they are regular visitors, I am still yet to catch a glimpse of the wonderful Dolphins in the wild. 

Do a big Zip Line (Over a river maybe)

Swim in the Sea During Winter

Do another Long Hike (min 10 miles)
My Dad and I did an approximately 35-mile hike around Kielder a few years back to raise money for Alzheimer's Society and Parkinson's UK.
I'd love to do something like this again. 

Climb the 3 Peaks

Sleep at a Haunted Location

Go Ice Skating 
As with bowling and mini golf, these are things I have done before but I just want to do with Mr H.
 Everything on this list will be with him technically I guess haha.

Fully Wild Camp in a National Park



Buy a House
Probably not our forever home, but somewhere we can feel happier, safer and more fulfilled than where we are now.
We need to live more rurally with no attached neighbours and surrounded by walkable natural areas.

Get my Health, Weight etc Under Control

Renew our Vows at Gretna
The 6th wedding anniversary is the Iron anniversary and so we'd like to follow in my parent's footsteps (who renewed on their 10th anniversary)
and renew our vows at the famous Smithy for that, hopefully being able to get a nice wedding photo too. 

Write a Children's Book

Put together my Will
There's nothing for me to leave anyone, but I have very specific wishes for when I am gone and need to make sure they are followed.
Alongside this, I'd like to have a concrete plan for our animals' futures if anything was to happen to us. 

Start Paid Photography Work Again

Continue Studying BSL 
I'd love to eventually be completely fluent as I think it's such an important language to be able to communicate in.

Keep Getting Tattooed

Get Rescue Chickens

Volunteer as Much as Possible
As of this month I have currently been volunteering with Cats Protection for 17 months
and with Blue Cross as a Pet Bereavement Support volunteer for 7 months.
I want to keep doing them for as long as possible and helping pets and owners as much as I can. 



Be the Best Pet Mam I Can Be

Plant Lots of Trees

Knit Us Jumpers
I started to learn knitting during my first ever job working in an interior design store but didn't keep it up.
My Nana was a big knitter when I was little so it'd be lovely to replicate the beautiful jumpers and cardigans she gave me.
It will help us to be even more eco-conscious and closer to self-sufficiency. 

Grow More Food

Be a Member of Nature Trusts Each Year 
This year we became WWT members and have been enjoying visits to our local Washington Wetlands Centre.
I support RSPB, Wildlife Trusts and more as much as I can but hope to become members in the following years.

Do Regular Litter Picks

Sew More

Read 50 Books a Year
55, 54, 62 were my totals for the last 3 years.
I aim to continue this way and read at least 50 books every year.

Photograph all the Birds on my List 
(List to follow in another blog post)

Just Make a Difference




It may have taken me longer than I thought to put this together, but this is the final list and I'm happy with it. I wanted most of the points to be fairly achievable but still give me a kick up the bum to make things happen sooner rather than later. I'm a realist (or many people would say a pessimist) so I'm well aware there will be many things on this list that won't happen ever, especially before 40, but it will be fun to try! 

Fingers crossed time slows down and the next 7 years are full of good health and happy adventures.

Until next time...


No comments:

Post a Comment