Wednesday 19 May 2021

Disney Inspired Vegan Meal Ideas

 


Oh gosh! I can't believe it's been since way back in January for the Veganuary posts that I last posted a vegan meal idea post. I have a folder accumulating photos of meals that I haven't shared before etc for another 'Easy Vegan Meal Ideas' post, and today's post has been in the works almost as long...well since the very beginning of  March.
I'm not sure how it's taken so long for me to come up with this but it actually ended up coming about by accident when I made the first dish you see below for my tea one night. I swore it was a thing and then it clicked where I'd heard of it before. Hence this whole idea being sparked. For now, we have 5 dishes whose usual counterparts aren't all normally vegan but I made them super easily as fully animal/cruelty-free! 





Broccoli Pizza inspired by Inside Out
This was the item that started it all! And I can hand on heart say it was so delicious!
I always make my own pizza base with a very basic recipe of strong white flour, yeast, salt, water and oil. When I make a batch it is enough for 4 pizzas so after Mr H and I have one each, I freeze the other 2 balls of dough for future use. That means if you have pre-prepared dough this is a very quick and simple meal! For these toppings, I have a small amount of vegan cheese, broccoli, spring onions and chilli flakes.

---





Spaghetti and Meatballs inspired by Lady and the Tramp
Can you think of foods from Disney movies and not think of this?! From such a famous scene, it had to be recreated.
We always use gluten-free pasta due to my slight intolerance, so the spaghetti is gluten-free which so some reason makes it look very yellow in photos! The sauce I made with tinned crushed tomatoes, tomato puree, onion, garlic and seasoning. Finally, the 'meatballs' were a store-bought vegan alternative (Mr H had the meatballs and I just the sauce so I can't vouch for their flavour).
Another fast, fun and simple, filling meal.

---





Spinach Puffs inspired by The Emperor's New Groove
Spinach puffs aren't exactly something I'd usually gravitate towards, nor is The Emperor's New Groove one of my favourites, though after researching other options for this post I had to give these a go.
Luckily it's 2021 and there are so many more options that meant I could use a non-vegan recipe as a base just substituting vegan alternatives. My main ingredients were ready-made puff pastry (Jus-Roll Chilled Puff Pastry Sheets are accidentally vegan!), vegan cream cheese, vegan bacon and spinach.
My filling looks much darker than many other examples online and I account this to my subtraction of the use of feta cheese or similar.

---





Ratatouille inspired by Ratatouille
Would there even be the point in this post if I didn't include an already vegan dish?!
I've only ever had Ratatouille once...that was in Bistrot Chez Rémy at Disneyland Paris, so the expectations for my own recreation were not high. I don't usually like aubergine or tomatoes and seeing it in the pan I wasn't exactly excited for tea. However, I was pleasantly surprised once it was time to eat.
Something I'd like to mention is it is nigh on impossible to plate Ratatouille to look like it did when Remy made it haha!

---





Succotash inspired by The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
Although only mentioned very briefly, it was in a Disney movie none the less and that's enough for me! 
There were many other dishes much more prominently featured in their movies but with my picky palette, why make something that isn't going to be eaten? So Succotash it is!
Originally a Native American recipe this dish can have many variants, though is always based around corn. We used Sweetcorn, Red Pepper, Green Pepper, Edamame, Red Onion, Green Onions and seasonings.
---

What do you think? Would you try to make any of these vegan versions of popular Disney movie foods? What other Disney foods come to mind when you think of the movies? Keep an eye out for more posts like this in the near future!




No comments:

Post a Comment