Monday 23 September 2024

Rockpooling at Jackie's Beach, Whitburn



So, there has been a huge lack of photos and adventures in general from Jackie's beach this year. With my health issues, we just haven't been to many places at all, including one of our favourite little bays where we were a part of the Nesting Ringed Plover Project 2023*, however as I emerged from my aestivation (and the schools had returned) Mr H and I ventured down for a slow walk on September 9th. 
I'd failed to check the tide times before arriving and as you'll see from the photos, the sea was very far away from the shore. This did give us the opportunity to explore the life within the rockpools though! A common activity when I was a child, I've always loved rockpool hunting but in recent years the number of creatures has been noticeably less, however on this trip I was pleasantly surprised with our findings...


*We were meant to be volunteering this year too, but evidently couldn't and I'm gutted because it was an incredibly successful season and I missed out on seeing all the babies!
 










































From birds and bugs to crustaceans, fish and more I was over the moon with our findings. It was a wonderful day back at Jackie's Beach, we're so lucky to have such a special area so close to us. 


No comments:

Post a Comment