Monday 30 December 2019

What Mr Hallow Read This Quarter [October - December]


Welcome to what I believe is the only the third post I have ever written!! As the title says this is a post reviewing what I have read this last quarter of 2019. Because I'm always at work this shared blog is primarily written and edited by Mrs Hallow.


October

The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S Lewis
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Mrs Hallow picked this book for me this month as she loves C.S Lewis. I read this book very fast its written in a great way and very easy to read. I'm currently reading the Chronicles of Narnia in chronological order not publication order. This is my first time reading this series and I think I enjoyed the first book "The Magicians Nephew" but I think that's because I have seen the Narnia movies and roughly knew the story of this book.

The Wise Mans Fear by Patrick Rothfuss
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
This book is huge!! with that said it took me a very long time to read the first book in this series so I got through this one much faster. I love the world created for this book, and the magic system is complex and at the same time easy to follow. I cant wait for the final book in the trilogy to be released, so much seems to have happened in a short time span in the life of Kvothe and I'm intruded to see how the third one ties the story up at this point I would be surprised if a forth book had to be released.


November

The Horse and His Boy by C.S Lewis
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Again Mrs Hallow choose this book for me to read. I must admit that this is so far my favourite book in the series I loved the horse Bree, he's so funny! I enjoyed getting to know more of the world outside of Narnia as the group travelled to get to Narnia. I'm so excited to read more of this series!

Tree and Leaf, Smith of Wooton Major, The Homecoming of Beorhtnoth  by J.R.R Tolkien
⭐️⭐️⭐️
What!!! only 3 starts?? for a book by the master himself... Well the essay part of Tree and Leaf was a bit tedious with that said the short story itself was thoroughly enjoyable! I loved the story and the character of Niggle. The three star score is highly accountable to Smith of Wooton Major writing this like is my I love Tolkien such a great short story and with elves!!what's not to love. The last story The Homecoming of Beorhtnoth now this part of the book was neither good nor bad at the beginning of the story/script I quiet enjoyed it but by the end it got quiet boring I think I struggled to keep my attention in it because it wasn't a story really.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K Rowling
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Yes I have never read the harry potter books!! I loved this book the insights into the lives of the house elves and the kitchen of Hogwarts were great. I know its what is always said about every book/movie ever made but the books are far better than the movies I'm actually annoyed with myself that it has taken me so long to read these!

Artemis Fowl: The Artic Incident
⭐️⭐️⭐️
I read this book very quickly! it started quickly a lot faster than the first and with already established characters I found it very easy to get sucked into the story. When I read the first book in this series I was unsure but after reading this I'm eager to read more the character's are great, the back and forth between Captain Root and Mulch Diggums are hilarious and the similar comment from Captain Root and Butler are great too.


December

Prince Caspian by C.S Lewis
⭐️⭐️⭐️
As Mrs has picked a few of the Narnia books for me to read recently I thought I would choose one for myself this month, next on the list was Prince Caspian. I enjoyed this book It was great to have a lot more Narnians involved in the story and I loved the badger Trufflehunter (Hufflepuff Rules). I have seen the Narnia movies and knew what to expect with this book and that I would be seeing more of the pensive children back in Narnia again, my absolute favourite thing about this book has to be that finally the best character Reepicheep is finally introduced!

The House with the Clock in its Walls by John Bellairs
⭐️⭐️⭐️
I simply choose this book as its quiet short and is about magic, it turned out to be a great read I loved the quirky uncle Johnathan and his weird behaviour I found the writing style easy to follow and thought the pace of the book was great I will definitely be on look out for more by this author.

Hollow City by Ransom Riggs
⭐️⭐️⭐️
I loved reading this book, the way the Perculiardom was expanded was great with the different loops and time zones and as I have also read the tales of the perculiar and the book and the tales themselves are included in the story was fantastic and kept me hooked.



Thank you for taking the time to read this post, I got through nine books which I'm happy but I hope to read a lot more next year than I did this year.


💀 Mr Hallow 💀



No comments:

Post a Comment