Friday 20 December 2019

What Mrs Hallow Read This Quarter [October - December]


It feels like forever since I put a post like this together. Well really it has been since the end of 2017 on my old blog. They take a little while, three months in fact, seeing as I comprise (as it says in the title) three months worth of reading into one post! There is more than enough text below therefore I bid you good day!


October

The Twisted Tree by Rachel Burge
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
For this being a book that was chosen for me by Mr H, I somewhat whizzed through this! From the get-go I knew this was going to be right up my alley and it really was. Slightly spooky, great setting, I liked the characters, theme of the story totally our thing and a really nice length. It's rare I give a book a full five stars so that should go for something.

Labyrinth by Kate Mosse
⭐️⭐️⭐️
My goodness. You have no idea how long it's actually taken me to read this book. I started it literally years ago when I first picked it up in April 2015 (I know that because I have taken daily photos almost every day since 2013 and checked haha) but went through a reading slump, giving up around a 3rd of the way. I'm so glad I got through it eventually and despite some of the (in my opinion) unnecessary 'sexual'(?) parts I enjoyed the overall storyline.
 
A Wind in the Door by Madeleine L'Engle
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
I don't think I have too much to say about this one. In March 2018 I read the first of this series and, despite not being the biggest sci fi fan, rated in 4 stars having loved the fantasy elements and it was same this time around. If anything, I think I might have preffered this over A Wrinkle in Time...though obviously not enough to warrent an ajustment in rating.


November

Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
This is something I've always wanted to read. Well, you know, since I saw the trailer for the movie in early 2016 and since I picked up Tales of the Peculiar just because of how pretty the cover was in 2017. For a peculiar kid it's a wonder I hadn't picked this up way sooner and the added point of how it came to be with the old photos as inspiration, just love it all. The reason I knocked a star off was the ending to be honest. No spoilers though...

The Doomspell by Cliff McNish
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Another dark horse, The Doomspell was a blind bet picked up in the charity shop and totally unexpected to be something I'd enjoy so much. I'd never heard of it or it's author before and now I can't wait to read the next two in this series, especially after the ending of this on. It made me cry!

Eragon by Christopher Paolini
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Another mission and a half for me. Being someone who goes through spurts of reading loads and then struggling to read at all, books longer than 450/500 pages can be a chore no matter how much I'm enjoying them. My weak wrists struggle to hold them up! Anyway, yeah, the plot was awesome. Really enjoyed the story and look forward to reading the next but again the ending just dropped a star for me. I had a feeling as I was approaching the closing chapter that it wasn't going to come to enough of a conclusion to make me happy...ha!


December

A Series of Unfortunate Events: The Bad Beginning by Lemony Snicket
⭐️⭐️⭐️
Meh. Probably a bit of a harsh word to start off a 3 star review but I guess it sums it up pretty well. It's not bad, obviously, they are well loved stories and I enjoyed it but I wouldn't rush to read it again or really recommend it. Despite liking the writing style, which is mimicked well in the recent Netflix show, I also grew annoyed at the repetitiveness of saying peoples names and such. All that being said, this is the first book I read in one day this year so it couldn't have been that bad could it?!

Switching Well by Peni R Griffin
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
The 3rd five star in 3 months?! Never!! Well it was sitting at a generous 3.5 until the ending which just killed me and had me shed more tears, just as The Doomspell had, and it had to be 5 stars. I don't exactly see how this is a children's book...some of the themes discussed we're in my opinion more for older teens/adults but I appreciated things like Foster Care, class, race and such being discussed.

Nightmares! by Jason Segel and Kirsten Miller
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
If you are one of the 3 people that actually read this blog, you might have seen on our December TBR that I was supposed to be reading something else. I did start it but one night I forgot to take it up to bed and so grabbed this off the shelf in our room and ended up not being able to put it down!
A really light read, obviously a kids book, but still super enjoyable for me. When we bought it we laughed that the author had the same name as the actor...until I added it on my Goodreads and realized it actually was him! I'm looking forward to reading the next two in the trilogy.

Northern Lights by Philip Pullman
⭐️⭐️⭐️
...Anndd instead of getting onto the book I had in my TBR, I didn't want to end the year with any unfinished books so decided to complete this which I started in October when I completed the 3 books from my TBR early.
It isn't what I expected. Considering how often it was recommended to me due to my other reads I guess I thought it would be a little different but alas, slightly disappointing. I have also owned the dvd of 'The Golden Compass' and have put it off for literal years until I read this first...maybe I should have just watched it. It did get better as it went along thankfully but maybe my expectations were just too high considering the buzz surrounding it.



10 books. I'm happy with that. I'm getting through our gigantic, never-ending TBR pile and that is the main thing! What did you read recently? Mr H's post will be coming soon!

💀 Mrs Hallow 💀



No comments:

Post a Comment