Wednesday 15 December 2021

Running 828 Miles From My Living Room

 

As other people contemplate and dread another 'lockdown' here in the UK due to the pandemic, I am still in my original lockdown from February 2020. Of course, there are the odd things I miss like walks and museums but overall I have been perfectly happy to stay safely at home.
During that time, however, I have been anything but bored and filled my time with my usual household tasks, taking care of our 10 animals, blog and photo work, reading, completing a couple of online courses and oh running 828 miles around the Ring Road of Iceland all from my living room!

Starting on the 21st of February 2021, over 282 days I completed 200 runs totalling 828 miles and crossed the finish line on November 30th 2021. 
During that time I also took part in multiple other smaller runs in aid of different animal-related charities which then made this medal my 7th of the year! As of writing this I have also completed one more 25k and hope that the 8th medal will arrive before the end of the year. 

---

I did this particular run through The Conqueror Virtual Challenges which I also used back in January to complete the Hadrian's Wall 90 mile hike - which you can read more about here ' My 90 Mile Hike at Home ' and here ' Fundraising During A Pandemic. '
The reason I chose to do another challenge with this company is that I love the fact I can follow my route on the map and even see where I am by falling into street view, as well as get postcards throughout my journey and best of all contribute to planting trees when I hit each 20% milestone!







So why do I do these challenges? It gives me motivation and something to do, it helps me to have a reason to work out and keep fit which in turn has helped my chronic pain and best of all provides an opportunity to raise money. 
In January/February during my 90-mile hike I managed to raise £250 that I donated to a wonderful animal shelter I support in Serbia, Vukjac Shelter. At Vukjac they have to work against many adverse conditions to provide care to over 1000 animals, primarily dogs, and the remarkable man who runs the shelter never turns a dog away. 
On top of everything, this year has also been incredibly difficult for the shelter as a local right-wing political group, Leviathan Movement, posing as an animal rights group threatened the shelter when they had apparently 'investigated' them and they circulated a fake video and rumours accusing Dejan of animal cruelty. In turn, Dejan was jailed, the shelter was ceased during which time the dogs did not receive their required care and Vukjac Shelter's donation channels were taken over. 
Thankfully, Dejan was released and the shelter returned to the caring hands of those who have always looked after them but the drops in fundraising have been detrimental. 

Because of all that I set up another fundraising page in the hopes to provide some small amount of support. I don't know many people, haven't really any friends and don't like to push too much so this fundraising attempt has failed miserably! I plan to leave the page up for another month or so and once it ends I will add my personal donation and then send it over to the shelter.
If you would like to contribute to a great cause, you can find my Just Giving page here:
828 Miles for Vukjac Shelter

To learn more about the shelter please read this post My 90 Mile Hike at Home and this one too Fundraising During A Pandemic

---

I wanted to share the rest of my medals too so below are:
Hadrian's Wall 90miles
Predator Series Hawk 20k (Half Marathon)
Blue Cross Rescue Run 26.2 miles (Marathon)
Virginia McKenna's 90th birthday Born Free 5k
Predator Series Black Dog 20k
Animals in War 11k 

Until next time...









No comments:

Post a Comment