Friday 14 April 2023

What I Read Last Quarter // January - March

 


Here we go!! The first quarter has already flown past us and I've had a great three months of reading!
Starting this year I set my goal at a very low 21 books, allowing a fortnight per book. That seems excessive but I had aimed to get through some of the larger books on my shelves this year (which you can see in this post - 10 BIG Books I Want to Read in 2023) and looking back to January 2022 I only managed one large book, so thought I'd give myself some grace.

As you'll see from this post, that isn't exactly going to plan...


January

Leila and the Blue Fox by Kiran Millwood Hargrave 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
War of the Wind by Victoria Williamson 🌟🌟🌟🌟
The Books of Dust vol.1 - La Belle Sauvage by Philip Pullman 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
The Wildstorm Curse Eve by Wersocki Morris 🌟🌟🌟🌟
Return to Roar by Jenny McLachlan 🌟🌟🌟🌟

- 1738 pages

What a start to the year! I can't believe that I not only read five books but that one of them was a chunker and it ended up being really enjoyable too. I wasn't overly impressed by the His Dark Materials series but I evidently loved The Book of Dust Vol.1!
Every other book was amazing too. Leila and the Blue Fox is a powerful, beautiful, important piece of art that shines a light on poignant issues such as climate change and animal welfare, topics I feel very strongly about. However how migration, country borders and unjust laws affect the lives of so many humans also fitted in impeccably in this heartwrenching journey.
Finally, I'd like to also mention War of the Wind by name. It has an atmospheric setting, a super interesting & unique plot, and great disability representation and I highly recommend it!


---

February

Toby and the Silver Blood Witches by Sally Doherty 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
The Wizard of Oz by L.Frank Baum 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
A Warlock in Whitby Robin Jarvis 🌟🌟🌟
A Guide to Wizards of the World Master Merlin 🌟🌟
The Wizards of Once - Twice Magic by Cressida Cowell 🌟🌟🌟🌟
Bedknobs and Broomsticks by Mary Norton 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

- 1441 pages

More books, but fewer pages. Still a month of great reads! As you may notice this was the month I accidentally fell into a 'theme' and then just stuck with it. February was the month of Witches, Wizards and Magic and I loved it.
Standouts were definitely Toby and the Silver Blood Witches with its unsung heroes, fantastical animals & just a downright wonderful protagonist. Such a fab plot that kept me reading & highlights important topics such as chronic illness and being a young carer. And Bedknobs and Broomsticks which I'm appalled with myself for not realizing was originally a book! It's one of my favourite Disney movies and I enjoyed the book just as much.


---

March

Strangeworlds Travel Agency Adventure in the Floating Mountains by L.D. Lapinski 
🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Secrets at Sea by Richard Peck 🌟🌟🌟🌟
Redwall by Brian Jacques 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Always, Clementine by Carlie Sorosiak 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Clarice the Brave by Lisa McMann 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Moonflight by Gill Lewis 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

- 1585 pages

As if this first quarter could get any better?! Five 5 stars and a 4-star?! Insane!
Mice (and Rats!) March turned out wonderfully and I absolutely adored every book I read. It may be boring to not have anything bad to say, but mood-reading things that you actually like the look and sound of make for a wonderful time.
I read to be happy and to escape, to make my life better. I read stories with good morals and beautiful plots, with fantastical characters and magical lands so I'm not forcing myself to read anything that I don't want to anymore!
Always, Clementine is one of the most beautiful books I've ever read, about a subject very close to my heart. I urge everyone, of all ages to read this and to go Cruelty-Free! I loved the writing format, I was completely invested & cried a lot!


-----


Wow!! What a strong start to the year, so many completely brilliant books and I'm really happy with how much I've managed to read so far. 17 books and I even managed to tick off two of my 'big' books in the first 3 months of the year so that's really exciting! What's even more exciting is the sheer amount of 4 and 5-star reads. I guess that's what happens when you read what you want even if the books aren't necessarily aimed at your age range...

You may also notice that I can't help myself but to fall into themes each month. January all the covers were blue or included blue, February was the Witch and Wizard, magical month and I rounded out the quarter with Mice (and Rats!) March! I've somewhat carried on the trend into this next quarter having already stacked up my exact TBR piles for the next three months and I can't wait to get around to all of the books!

Until next time...


Check out my 2022 reading review here - My Goodreads Year in Books 2022



No comments:

Post a Comment