Friday 22 December 2023

Fungi Hunting on Halloween at Causey Arch

 


It's taken me almost two months to edit these, and I'd forgotten how many species of fungi we spotted on our Halloween walk at Causey Arch, Stanley. We didn't intend to go looking for mushrooms and the like, but there were so many it turned into an impromptu fungi hunt! We obviously love all things nature and wildlife however admittedly we're currently pretty oblivious to the species names of fungi.
I'm going to try and list those featured here at the bottom of this post but feel free to correct me if any are wrong!
Wildlife was sparse that day and so what we lacked in birds and the like, we made up for in fungi. The birds we did see and are in this post in order were: Robin, Nuthatch, (the flock flying I cannot be sure about), Grey Wagtail and Wood Pigeon. 


































Possible fungi:
Tawny Grisette
Velvet Shank
Candlesnuff Fungus
Coldfoot Bonnet
Jelly Ears
Blushing Bracket


My goodness, how difficult it is to identify fungi?! There are apparently around 15,000 species in the UK so it's not happening for me to name the ones in this post. I welcome anyone who'd like to let me know what they are though.



No comments:

Post a Comment