Monday 18 May 2020

Easy Vegan Meal Ideas



Over the past two years, I have thankfully finally bit the bullet and fully transitioned to vegan eating. Before I went vegan I was vegetarian, used vegan spreads, have never eaten egg and only used milk extremely rarely...my big hurdle being chocolate and treats!
My whole life I have also been an extremely fussy eater. Not only that but I have had multiple issues with food aversions and disordered eating which makes eating more of a chore than something done for enjoyment like many people. I would happily survive on the same basic meals over and over but when you marry a chef you really have no option but to try new things, urgh! Insert eye roll here haha.
That all being said, a meal ideas post doesn't sound like something I'd be likely to do. However, I feel that with most vegan meal ideas shown online or vegan meal options you are given in restaurants people like me are left out. You can't be vegan and be fussy. Or can you?!
Here is a week of meals in our household.

[Note: Everything is vegan. It is also mostly Gluten Free but I only have a gluten aversion that sets off other health issues - I am not a coeliac. Therefore if you are gluten intolerant, obviously alternatives can be substituted.]



Cajun Fried Rice with Broccoli and Garlic Potatoes
Made with Plain White Rice, Cajun Seasoning, Fresh Garlic and Sesame Oil.
New Potatoes, Olive Oil, Garlic Granules and Oregano. (Portion for two)


Cheese and Bacon Loaded Potato Skins with Salad
Made with Baking Potatoes, Vegan Cheese, Vegan Bacon, Garlic Granules and Salt.
Basic salad of mixed lettuce, savoy cabbage, grated carrot and cucumber. 


Pesto Pasta and Cheese with Broccoli
Made with Gluten-Free Penne Pasta, Free From Green Pesto and Vegan Cheese.


Cous Cous with a Vegetable Medley and Garlic Potatoes.
Made with Plain Cous Cous, Garlic Granules, Chilli Flakes, Fresh Chives and Mixed Vegetables.
New Potatoes, Olive Oil, Garlic Granules, Fresh Chives and Oregano. (Portion for two)


Spicy Bean Wrap with Potato Wedges and Salad
Made with Gluten-Free Wraps, Spicy Bean Burgers, Plain White Rice, Siracha and
Basic salad as above. Pre-made seasoned wedges.


Vegan Sausage Pasta with Vegetables
Made with Gluten-Free Penne and Fusilli Pasta, Homemade Tomato Sauce and Vegan Sausages.
Broccoli and Green Beans.


Vegan Breakfast for Dinner
Made with Gluten-Free Bread Toasted, Hash Browns, Vegan Sausage, Vegan Bacon and Baked Beans. (I don't like certain items of food to touch so my beans were in a ramekin)


Broken Biscuit Traybake
Made with Digestive Biscuits, Golden Syrup, Vegan Spread and Vegan Chocolate




As you can see I am a huge advocate for carbs. I'd like to be living the high carb, low fat, vegan life but we do use some fats and processed foods still. It's a balancing act.
There seems to be quite a few diets doing the rounds and particular restrictive diets gaining popularity again. (The only thing I personally believe should 100% be eliminated from a persons diet is animal produce haha!) But all I want to promote is that plant-based is nutritious, tasty and has so many options to fit all tastes.Veggies, grains, pulses - good. Saturated fats, processed sugar - bad. As with anything, it's all in moderation though, isn't it?

 Can you guess some of the most common 'vegan options' that I don't like and will never have in my dishes...? Cauliflower, Mushroom and Avocado seem to be the basis of almost every vegan menu in restaurants and I say nope!
I already have another of these posts in the works, so I hope you enjoyed this and will look out for that in the following months.





No comments:

Post a Comment