Wednesday 1 February 2023

What We Ate This Veganuary // Week 4

 


Veganuary - try vegan in January. It's that simple. Obviously, we are already vegan but I enjoy sharing vegan food ideas on this blog and it gives me an excuse to shout about veganism to everyone even more.
I don't know how long I've been vegan. Many people seem to know the exact date they made the change, however for me, it was quite gradual. I grew up eating chicken, bacon, cheddar cheese and chocolate. I went vegetarian around 2014 and in the following few years phased out milk and butter to vegan alternatives and then eventually the same happened with cheese (which was mainly only eaten on pizza anyway). Finally, after moving in with Mr H we both made the decision to finally bite the bullet and I cut out chocolate. Of course, there have been odd moments where chocolate or ice cream or a normal cheese pizza was consumed - no one is perfect - but I guess you could say I've been vegan for around 4 years. 

I'm also neurodivergent and grew up an extremely picky eater. Though I have gotten much better in the past 4 years (half due to veganism, the other half due to being married to a chef), I still find meal ideas and vegan recipes to be overly complicated or just downright gross. You don't have to live on tofu, chickpeas, mushrooms and cauliflower FYI!!

Anyway, just as we did in 2021 we're going to share what we eat during Veganuary this year. 
I'll only be sharing our joint evening meal as it is the main food of the day. It's nothing special and a good representation of our actual daily diets - hopefully, it will inspire you to try vegan when you see how easy and yummy it is!

Click here to see what we ate last week!


Day 23 - Lentil Soup
My go-to homemade soup.


Day 24 - Paella
Basic vegetable paella


Day 25 - Sausage Rolls and Siracha Mash
Homemade sausage rolls made with vegan sausages and ready-to-roll pastry. 
Served with siracha and spring onion mashed potato. 


Day 26 - Spaghetti and Garlic Bread
Gluten Free spaghetti, tomato sauce, sheese and garlic bread.


Day 27 - Broccoli Delight
Broccoli 'steaks' pan-fried topped with bacon and cheese. With garlic smashed potato.


Day 28 - Nuggets and Potato Pops
and marrowfat peas too!


Day 29 - Dump Bowl
Couscous, peppers, spring onion, bacon, potato and goodness knows what else.

-----

Again, these may look very beige, however, this is a realistic look at what we actually eat in our house. I am a fussy eater and eventually stick to the same foods over and over. If it wasn't for that we'd eat a lot differently, especially with Mr H being a chef!
Come the summer, we will have a little different variety with salads and the like but right now this is what we're eating. I'm also going through some health issues at the moment and some days I just want to eat nuggets and chips!


[Click the image above to enlarge the whole of Veganuary 2023!]


No comments:

Post a Comment