Monday 16 January 2023

What We Ate This Veganuary // Week 2

 


Veganuary - try vegan in January. It's that simple. Obviously, we are already vegan but I enjoy sharing vegan food ideas on this blog and it gives me an excuse to shout about veganism to everyone even more.
I don't know how long I've been vegan. Many people seem to know the exact date they made the change, however for me, it was quite gradual. I grew up eating chicken, bacon, cheddar cheese and chocolate. I went vegetarian around 2014 and in the following few years phased out milk and butter to vegan alternatives and then eventually the same happened with cheese (which was mainly only eaten on pizza anyway). Finally, after moving in with Mr H we both made the decision to finally bite the bullet and I cut out chocolate. Of course, there have been odd moments where chocolate or ice cream or a normal cheese pizza was consumed - no one is perfect - but I guess you could say I've been vegan for around 4 years. 

I'm also neurodivergent and grew up an extremely picky eater. Though I have gotten much better in the past 4 years (half due to veganism, the other half due to being married to a chef), I still find meal ideas and vegan recipes to be overly complicated or just downright gross. You don't have to live on tofu, chickpeas, mushrooms and cauliflower FYI!!

Anyway, just as we did in 2021 we're going to share what we eat during Veganuary this year. 
I'll only be sharing our joint evening meal as it is the main food of the day. It's nothing special and a good representation of our actual daily diets - hopefully, it will inspire you to try vegan when you see how easy and yummy it is!

Click here to see what we ate last week!



Day 8 - Dump Bowl
In our house, a dump bowl is usually a mix of veg and something like rice or cous cous to use up things that may be nearing the end of their usability...though sometimes it's just what we fancy to eat.
This dump bowl consited of cous cous, broccoli, peas, boiled potatoes, spring onion and nuggets.


Day 9 - Homemade Chicken and Bacon cheesy bakes.
Made with quorn vegan soy pieces, vegan bacon and sheese.
Served with broccoli, peas and green beans. 


Day 10 - Pizza and Wedges
I usually make homemade pizza but we thought we'd try this new frozen pizza from Asda's new OMV! range with some potato wedges. 


Day 11 - Fried Rice
Mr H's yummy fried rice with (my obvious favorites) broccoli, peas and spring onion.


Day 12 - Creamy Broccoli Soup
Homemade creamy broccoli soup with baguette.


Day 13 - Wraps and Potatoes
Using up some of the left over fried rice, we had wraps with a little added sheese and boiled garlic potatoes.


Day 14 - Pasta
Gluten free fusilli with peas, breadcrumbed 'chicken' pieces and sheese.

----------

These may not be the healthiest nor the most diverse nor what you may deem appealing meals, however these are realistic, easy meals that we actually eat in our house. 
It's January, therefore cold and comforting, warming meals is what we want. In the warmer weather we do eat salads and the like but right now this is what we're eating. 

Click here to see what we ate last week!

---------

Check out my Veganuary posts from 2021 here and you can find all Vegan Food Idea posts here.

Until next time...





No comments:

Post a Comment