Monday 8 April 2024

What I Read Last Quarter // January - March


 
The first quarterly reading round-up of 2024!!! *Klaxons sound* 
I like reading. And I like collecting books. I also like to share the books I've read as I don't quite have the same tastes as many 30-odd-year-old women and enjoy shouting about the things I think need more love. It's been said that I rate too highly and rarely mention anything under a 3-star, however, it must be said that I only read for pleasure and so I choose things that I'm pretty sure I will love. Life is too short (and there are far too many good books to get around to), to waste time reading books that aren't my thing!

So, anyway, here is everything I read throughout January, February and March.





January
The Life of Birds by David Attenborough πŸŒŸπŸŒŸπŸŒŸπŸŒŸπŸŒŸ
Finding Bear by Hannah Gold πŸŒŸπŸŒŸπŸŒŸπŸŒŸπŸŒŸ
The Golden Mole by Katherine Rundell πŸŒŸπŸŒŸπŸŒŸπŸŒŸπŸŒŸ
The Taming of the Cat by Helen Cooper πŸŒŸπŸŒŸπŸŒŸπŸŒŸ
The Swan's Warning by Holly Webb πŸŒŸπŸŒŸπŸŒŸπŸŒŸ
Etta Lemon: The Woman Who Saved the Birds by Tessa Boase (Audiobook, not pictured) 🌟🌟🌟🌟
Impossible Creatures by
Katherine Rundell 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 What a start to the year?! I'm not usually a non-fiction reader but after buying a signed copy of The Life of Birds (admittedly for Sir David Attenborough's signature...) I decided to make it my first book of 2024. It was so magical and actually fun to read, that it spurred me on a non-fiction wave. As with last year, I did continue my 'themed' reading months into this year. Can you guess this month's theme? You'd think it was animals or nature but, in fact, these were all signed books from our collection, apart from the audiobook of course. I obviously recommend every single one of the above books - just look at those ratings!
February Little Foxes by Michael Morpurgo 🌟🌟🌟🌟
 Calling the Whales by Jasbinder Bilan 🌟🌟🌟
The Incredible Adventures of Gaston le Dog by Michael Rosen 🌟🌟🌟🌟
 The Guinea Pig Detective Agency by Kezia Racher-Kaye 🌟🌟🌟🌟
Viva Durant and the Madness of Madam Bouchard by Ashli St. Armant (Audiobook, not pictured) 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
 I Believe in Unicorns by Michael Morpurgo 🌟🌟🌟🌟
Lark by Anthony McGowan 🌟 (DNF) Mary Poppins in Cherry Tree Lane by P. L. Travers 🌟🌟🌟
 The Puffin Keeper by Michael Morpurgo 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
The Queen's Nose by Dick King-Smith 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
 The Sheep-Pig by Dick King-Smith 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Sophie's Tom by Dick King-Smith 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
 The Tiger Rising by Kate DiCamillo 🌟🌟🌟

In February I aimed to get through as many of the 'under 150 pages' books on my shelves as possible. I read 12 and an audiobook!
 I'll let the ratings do the majority of the talking, but I'd also like to say that just because a book is short or is primarily aimed at children does not mean it's not for adults. If people took the time to give middle-grade and children's books a shot, they'd be much happier! Many can have different, deeper meanings from an adult perspective too, and I can't stress how many incredibly poignant, well-written books are out there not receiving the credit they deserve.

March
Murtagh by Christopher Paolini 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
A Darkness of Dragons by S.A. Patrick 🌟🌟🌟🌟
Dragon Mountain by Katie Tsang & Kevin Tsang (Audiobook, not pictured) 🌟🌟🌟🌟
Dragon Boy by Dick King-Smith 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Dragon Legend by Katie Tsang & Kevin Tsang (Audiobook, not pictured) 🌟🌟🌟🌟

My smallest stack of the quarter but I'm very happy to have whacked out the mighty Murtagh at around 700 pages. Its technically the fourth in the Inheritance Cycle and I'd go as far to say as it's one of my absolute favourites in the series. It's been 12 years since the previous book came out, and although we aren't following Eragon through AlagaΓ«sia it still feels like we're sucked straight back into the world. Can't wait for more!
If you hadn't realized, March was Dragon month! Fitting it being the Year of the Dragon!




(Click to open full size!)




Just some quick stats...
Total books read in the first quarter of 2024 - 25
Physical books - 21
Audiobooks - 4
Longest book - Murtagh, 688 pages
Shortest book - The Guinea Pig Detective Agency, 46 pages

Favorite book from each month...
January - The Golden Mole by Katherine Rundell
February -  The Puffin Keeper by Michael Morpurgo
March - Murtagh by Christopher Paolini


Here's to more awesome reads in the next quarter of 2024 and I hope that you have had a great reading year so far too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment