Saturday 25 January 2020

Cherished Childhood Books


I've always enjoyed reading, even if I wasn't the most 'well read' and can fondly remember being on the year above's level of 'The Magic Key', Biff and Chip books in school or nursery at around 4 years old. I remember library visits where I had my own little library card and could rifle through the children's box shelf thingys, then be pretty chuffed checking them out and getting to read them at home.There are also a small, but important group of stories that I will always cherish from my earlier reading days. Here are some of them...

Puppy Patrol by Jenny Dale (aka Linda Chapman)
Probably the most memorable to me is the Puppy Patrol series by Jenny Dale. If you hadn't guessed from the title, they were about dogs ahah. With around 40-50 books in the series, they kept me busy for a little while but were also rather entertaining adventures for children's books (if I remember rightly).A funny fact that I'll never forget is talking about them for some show and tell or report or something in first school, where the teacher thought I'd said 'Jelly Deel', instead of Jenny Dale. Everyone thought it rather hilarious! A bit random to stick in my memory considering I haven't a great one to begin with!Despite being short at less than 150 pages each, I would love to read through them again and, from memory, thoroughly recommend them for people who have animal loving kids - if you can get your hands on them!

Noddy by Enid Blyton
Man I loved Noddy! The show, the books, Noddy was awesome.

Room 13 & The Nightmare Stairs by Robert Swindells
Not a series, but a book with two stories in one - or so my copy was. Room 13 and The Nightmare Stairs were my first real introduction into the 'Horror' genre and I think it's safe to say Mr Swindells is to thank for capturing my heart for all things freaky, creepy and weird. He is of course, an award-winning author and doesn't need bigging up in the slightest anyway, but man I love these books!!Room 13 is also set in Whitby which is awesome as it's always cool to be able to picture the places described when you've been there before.

The Mermaid by Lucy Kincaid
This was one that I didn't realize was in my memories until I saw it at my parents. I now vividly remember flipping through the pages, completely taken in by the beautiful illustrations (by Lynne Willey) and sucked in by the magical mermaid story. This, as well as the Fairytale movie were my first glances as 'mythical' creatures and I do still believe in them both fyi :)

Beatrix Potter Tales
Of course, this was when I was a little littley and I can't personally remember my first introduction, but tell me the name of a person my age who didn't love Beatrix Potter books! It's lovely to still have the special set from my childhood, the artwork is always beautiful to appreciate no matter your age.  Unfortunately, I am yet to read the 'new' story, The Tale of Kitty in Boots, that was released last year. Have you read it?

The Harry Potter Series by J.K Rowling
'Duh' feels like a fitting statement to make here haha! I was late to the Harry Potter fandom, though still only 11 years old...so you could say I was right on time to get to Hogwarts. The first movie had come out in 2001 and for some reason, we were taken on a school trip to see it at the cinema. Before that, I hadn't heard anything about it...but after I'd see the movie I picked up the books and fell into the world head first, never to return.After I completed the series up to date I waited and pre-ordered the next 3. This was the first time I had ever become so in love with a world that 'wasn't real' and (besides The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe - which I had read to me, not read myself hence not being on the list) pretty much started my obsession with all things magical.

John Speirs' Margaret Wise Brown Treasury - 14 Classic Stories and Poems
Another similar to 'The Mermaid' in the fact that I only remembered it once I saw it again. As you can see it's a book of short stories and little poems, many about animals and nature. Looking back on it, you can see it was well loved as I've written my name and 'keep out' in the front cover as well as circled and 'highlighted' bits and pieces throughout haha.

Disney Wonderful World of Reading & Other Books
Lastly, what would this list be without Disney? Self-explanatory really. I've been watching, reading, playing, wearing, drawing, everything Disney since I was born.


I did, of course, read other things, but these are those that stick in my mind and mean a lot to me. Though probably with some missing. Did you read any of these as a child too? What was your favorite book to read back when you were young? Have you re-read it since? I plan to re-read some Robert Swindells and hopefully the Puppy Patrol books too! I've already re-read Harry Potter around 6+ times over the years but I will never get bored of reading them over and over haha!

-----

As I mentioned in the 'Disney Movies That Were Books First' post I put up at the end of November, I used to run a lifestyle blog for around 10 years. When looking back at that old blog I decided there were some posts that I enjoyed so much I didn't want to leave them in a black hole, unseen on the internet since unpublishing that website. So this post and a couple of others to come are from said blog with only a tiny updating.





No comments:

Post a Comment