Friday 10 January 2020

Our Top 10 Reads of 2019


We ended up taking an unplanned, unintentional break at the end of December and although this and other posts have been in various stages of completion, I ended up just un-scheduling them all and reorganizing the whole of January's planned posts. This was meant to be published on the 30th so only a week later isn't going to make too much difference. This is 10 of our top favourite books we read during 2019, well 5 from each of us otherwise we'd be here a while. They are all (as far as I'm aware) 5 star rated on our Goodreads accounts too! Here they are.



Mrs H's Top 5

The Ghost of Marlow House by Bobbi Holmes
This was just a random free ebook I found on Play Books and surprise, surprise turned out to be a 5* rating... and that is a great example of why I very rarely listen to awards, best sellers and what everyone else is reading. It was fun, well paced and just generally an interesting story.

The Ravenmaster: My Life with the Ravens at the Tower of London by Christopher Skaife
I've followed Christopher Skaife on social media for a few years and as soon as he announced he was publishing a book it was on my wish list. I have no excuse as to why it took me until this year to get around to it but I'm glad I chose to get the audiobook as Christopher narrated it himself. Everything I wanted and more.

The Twisted Tree by Rachel Burge
I was going to say this was my top book of the year, maybe it is, but looking back at this list it makes it a lot tighter. Yeah, I'll let it take the number one spot. To read a better summary of my thoughts on this you could always click this link and check out the 'What I Read This Quarter' post!

The Doomspell by Cliff McNish
A book and author I'd never heard of made it into my all five star, top five of 2019. When someone is travelling to somewhere other than where we live, I'm into it. Narnia, Oz, and now Ithrea.

Switching Well by Peni R Griffin
Writing these makes me feel like a broken record or completely empty of all literary skills because I either can't express what I'm trying to say or don't know what to say. But this is another of those 'random' books that was unexpected to make this list. It was in the recommended section on Goodreads because of other things I'd read and here we are, it ended up a good recommendation.



Mr H's Top 5

The Name on the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss
This was the first book I read this year, I was in a major reading slump it took it a very long time to get through maybe like 3 months!!! A lot of people don’t like the protagonist Kvothe in this series, I love how all the generic fantasy stereotypes are embraced by this book and executed very well! For a first book in a series the story progressed well and leaves you dying to read more.

The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss
As previously said Patrick Rothfuss leaves you wanting to read more... well I did and he did not disappoint, I loved this book and I neeeed the finale of this trilogy to come out. I feel like a lot happened in this book which it did this book was packed full of character development and travel and adventure. With that being said I’m struggling to see how Patrick Rothfuss will come to a conclusion with the King Killer Chronicles in just one more addition but if anyone can do it I’m sure he can.

Beorn the Proud by Madeleine A. Pollard
I got this book for my birthday in 2019 from Mrs H! So it’s special to me and a beautiful book, it makes it even better than I over this read a great adventure story and I thought the character arcs was awesome. I love vikings and all things Norse mythology and it was great to read a truly fiction book based in the Viking era.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K Rowling
Well what can I say... I wish I had a S.P.E.W. Badge to me Hermione's house elf movement really made this book for me even more than the triwizard tournament. I think this was my favourite instalment in the series so far it was action packed with the triwizard tournament and this book started to bring in the darker side of Harry Potter which is where things start to get a lot more exciting and I’m so excited to read more the only reason I haven’t is because the next book is huge!! But I will get around to it.

Tales of the Peculiar by Ransom Riggs
Well this is a truly great read I love Ransom Riggs writing, and these short story’s are awesome massively entertaining I loved the story of the pigeons and St Paul’s Cathedral. Currently reading the the books in the Perculiardom and the way these tales relate to the series is so cool.








No comments:

Post a Comment