Friday 19 August 2022

Puffin Boat Trip to the Farne Islands

 



Well, this isn't half a blast from the past at this point! These photos are from back in June, the start of June, and are part of my 30 Days Wild challenge.
I've been on boat trips to the Farne Islands a handful of times, though haven't seen the Puffins and other nesting seabirds since I was a child. It's something I've wanted to do again for a while, especially to be able to share the experience with Mr H, but just like everything else we have never gotten a chance seeing as the world shut down a year or so after we met. When getting ready for 30 Days Wild I knew I wanted to have at least 1 day a week where we went out and explored somewhere away from home, it was an excuse and motivation, and I saw this as a perfect opportunity to finally book that boat trip!
It was June and midweek meaning schools were not off and it was likely to be our quietest chance, so we went online and booked it for Wednesday the 8th. 

Upon arrival at Seahouses, we were greeted with rain. Most people would probably be a bit gutted. The other handful of couples who were on our boat seemed to be somewhat disappointed and headed straight into the indoor-covered part of the boat upon boarding, whereas we sat on a bench outside on the left-hand side. We were on the water anyway and water only goes skin deep after all. We also had our waterproof coats on and a change of trousers in the boot of the car. The only downside to this weather was that photo taking was a little more difficult and photos may have not turned out as well as they had if it had been sunny. Still, our position on the boat gave us prime bird viewing and we'd spotted birds the others didn't get to see when we were barely even out of the docks!

























When I originally looked at my photos I was disappointed and thought there were only a handful of useable ones. Now that it's been a couple months and I've gone back through them I've ended up with way more than is comfortable for one blog post...and so I'm splitting them over three!
The further out to sea we got, the worse the weather got so between the dull light, trying to keep my camera dry (it isn't waterproof!) and attempting to wipe a rain-spattered lens when all the material we had on us was also soaking became a bit of a challenge. 
As with everything on this blog, these are my memories. Life isn't perfect in the slightest and neither will my photos ever be. 
Look out for part two soon...
Until next time!


No comments:

Post a Comment