Friday 19 May 2023

Craft for Cats with Cats Protection

 

Craft for Cats is a quarterly fundraising crafting activity held by Cats Protection. A virtual craft-a-long is held in the private Craft for Cats Facebook group on a certain day with a live video from the pros, however, if you can't make it on the day there is a comprehensive how-to guide included with your kit and the video is available to watch again at any time after the event.
It started in late 2021 and I sadly missed the very first craft, however, have been lucky enough to take part in each one since.

Of course, if you're a regular to my blog you'll know I'm a volunteer for my local Cats Protection Adoption Centre so I see first-hand how fundraising is needed and how it helps. I've also always been an arty, crafty person, even if I'm not a master of any crafts I do have a big crafting stash and have done lots of different little makes over the years. So to bring the two things together while learning new crafting skills from professionals is awesome.

As another craft is approaching I thought I'd share my 2022 makes here and give a little shout-out to Craft for Cats in case anyone reading would be interested in joining in!




The first craft I took part in was the cat Embroidery with Paraffle Embroidery.
I have been a sewer for many years and feel quite comfortable with a needle and thread, though I'd never tried proper embroidery before.
It was something I'd always admired and was excited to take part in. 
I actually didn't watch the video for this craft, instead just following along the included guide.
The finished result wasn't perfect of course, but for a first attempt, I was really happy with it.





As time rolled around for the next craft we found out it'd be a cat face Mosaic Coaster by Moon Hare Studio Mosaic!
I really enjoyed this craft, despite my perfectionism meaning I kept messing with the grout until it was smooth enough for my liking.
I watched the video after the event and appreciated how good the live instruction was.
Mr H also loved the look of this so we ordered another kit after the event for him to do!








Most events are held on a Saturday, but at this time Saturdays were my day at Cats Protection.
This meant that I was never able to follow along as the live event happened but this week I was able to!
The most simple craft so far and something I had done in the past, Block Printing with The Arty Crafty Place*, made for a lovely relaxing craft.
This was also the first time I took a few more photos of the kit and process to show what was included.

(*now The Indian Block Printing co)








Ending this post out with the last of the quarterly craft activities for 2022, Needle Felting with The Makerss!
The kit was actually meant to make a cat angel Christmas tree topper, but of course, we don't celebrate Christmas, so I edited it somewhat.
My girls have quite unique colourings too so after having taken Eos as inspiration for the embroidery I'd decided to make lucky black cats for the following crafts... Until this where I decided it was Aurora's turn!
Again this was my first time felting so another wave of perfectionism overcame me and I worked on this over quite a few sessions.
I hadn't joined the live, though did dip into the video at a later stage to check what I was doing was correct while following the booklet.

The main changes I made for this craft were to not include the wings (though I did make a pair which I pinned on for a photo) as well as adding back legs and a little tail!
Since completion, I have also made a point of looking out for whiskers dropped by our girls and now my needle-felted cat has a full set of whiskers too.



Phew! That's a lot of crafts! Since then we have also had the first event of 2023, Paper Quilling (sneak peek above) which I will include in another post at the end of this year's events.
Currently, the Paper Quilling Spring craft is actually still available to purchase so if you fancy a go you can order it here > Craft for Cats Spring

I must say that these kits have always been absolutely wonderfully curated. There is almost always a choice of different colour variations in order to match your cat and everything you need is included in the box. The instruction booklets are detailed and can be used alone to complete the craft if you don't want to or can't join live and after the event is over you are emailed a link to the video on YouTube so you can take part in your own time. 

The Summer craft - an air dry clay cat pinch pot - is also ready to order. That event will take place on June 24th so get your kit ordered, join the Facebook group (if you want/are able) and get ready to have fun making a beautiful cat-themed craft while raising funds for Cats Protection!!

You'll also see when you go through the process of signing up that it asks ''Would you like your funds to benefit your local branch or centre? If a branch or centre is not selected the funds will be used wherever the need is greatest.''. If you check that box you can enter your postcode and find your local centre! Mine is the Tyneside Adoption Centre and it's fab to know that I can support the cats I visit weekly directly with my crafting. 

I hope you've enjoyed seeing my creations and will consider joining us at the next craft-a-long!
Until next time...



[I thought I'd also pop this in here if anyone is interested. As this post goes live I will be taking part in Miles for Moggies in the following days! 
My health still isn't great so I am doing two 5ks, so 10k, over two days. I'd be over the moon if you'd like to support me in fundraising for such a wonderful charity. Thank you.
 Miles for Moggies || Just Giving ]


No comments:

Post a Comment