Friday 23 February 2024

The Circus of Horrors, Cabaret of Curiosities

 

I first saw The Circus of Horrors on their 'The Asylum' tour in 2007/2008 and knew these were my type of people! Unfortunately, I wouldn't return until over 10 years later with Mr H on one of our first-ever shows/events together for the Voodoo tour in 2018/2019. Then we were locked up indoors for more years still...until last year when we noticed they were going to be at our local theatre, the Customs House, South Shields for their Doktor Haze's Cabret of Curiosities tour on the 16th of February 2024 and so we had no choice but to go!
Only a week or two before the date and an extra exciting announcement was made stating that legendary drag queen Charity Kase would be joining the tour for certain dates (ours included!) and we couldn't believe our luck!
So on the 16th we got dressed up (well, for us!*) and headed off for our first theatre visit in 5 years. This is what we saw... *To be fair, a lot of people were in joggers so we were more dressed than them. I guess gone are the days of dress codes.


Obviously, the photos aren't fantastic, they were taken on my potato, I mean phone but if I had been allowed my camera I could have gotten some amazing shots as we had a great, unique view. We purposely chose the seats furthest from other people and donned our masks as always and it was a good decision. Just like the previous shows, this one was incredible only different in one way and that was the huge miss that was the original creator and master performer Doktor Haze. Sadly he passed away last year and though the show must go on, he is certain never to be forgotten. The inclusion of him in the show was beautiful.
As we exited and headed for the merch table we actually ended up getting evacuated due to the fire alarms going off, which is funny because of the amount of fire/smoke etc used on stage and how on top of it they were. You'd think the theatre would have been more prepared and expected it but oh well! We ended up hanging around for a little as we really wanted some merch and stupidly hadn't got it on the way in. Thankfully the gorgeous Anastasia IV the 'hair hanging goddess' was on hand to arrange our purchase and we scored an awesome hoodie, t-shirt, hot sauce (yes, they make a hot sauce?!), badge and tote bag. Happy with our haul and about to head home, Charity Kase appeared and for some unknown reason, I had the balls to ask her for a photo! Now it's known I am rarely in front of the camera but I just had to to document the night. She was more than lovely and really ended our evening on a high! We can't wait to return to the Circus soon. If only we could join! Oh, lastly, here's a little video of some clips I took. I didn't start filming much until the second half which I'm now gutted about but still, it's nice to have this. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment