Tuesday 21 July 2020

Books I'd Like To Read, But Probably Never Will...



Yep, still no hauls here! We have bought the odd book throughout the past 3 months, however, because we are continuing to be house-bound we are obviously limited to online shopping. With no charity shop visits in sight, I've got an available week each month to write a post for!
I've had an ongoing list of 'Posts I'd like to write, but never get around to...' so here is one of them haha.

Be it from those long lists of books to read before you die you see floating around online or mentioned in shows and movies, I'm sure I'm not the only one who has accumulated a few mental TBRs that probably won't ever end up being read! Here are some of mine below.



War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy 1867
I first heard of this on Sabrina the Teenage Witch of all places. It's not my type of genre or anything but if it's studied in schools there must be something about it worth reading. In the long run, it's far too long and boring for me to spend my time reading when I have a never-ending TBR of exciting books to read haha.

Moby Dick by Herman Melville 1851
This I've thought of since childhood and all because of Matilda! All I knew was it was about a whale until recently when I learnt the true subject of the book...I don't know if I could stomach it anymore!

Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy 1877
Another by Leo Tolstoy, Anna Karenina is probably the newest addition to this list. It was a suggested read because I had read Anne of Green Gables, Alice Through the Looking Glass and The Chronicles of Narnia. However, on further inspection that couldn't be further from a good recommendation! It seems this is more along the lines of Austen novels and the type of classics I just can't get into.

Watership Down by Richard Adams 1972
 Goodness knows where I first heard of this, but who hasn't? It's classed as a Fairy tale, Fantasy Fiction, Adventure fiction and is about rabbits - right up my street! Or maybe not seeing as it's not a happy story and I can't deal with the demise of animals...

Jude the Obscure by Thomas Hardy 1895
So, I did say many of these were because of their inclusion in tv shows or movies and this is another from Sabrina the Teenage Witch. I literally had no idea until looking into it for this post what this was actually about. To me, it sounds a similar plot to Great Expectations which I did not like and this makes me wonder why on Earth these books are used to teach in schools.

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee 1960
Taught in schools, amazing reviews, showed up in my Goodreads recommended feed, the plot doesn't sound too insanely boring or depressing. I just don't think I'll ever take the time to get around to this.

A Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin 1996 - Present
The most modern entry on this list might come as a surprise to some. It's certainly in my reading genre tastes, I watched the show from its premiere and we own most of the series but it's something I just don't see my self getting around to especially seeing as we have so many other long fantasy series to read that aren't shows.



After putting together this post and reading more into what a lot of these books I've been interested in for years, I have definitely realised I'm not as interested anymore! Have you read any of those I've mentioned in my list? Am I wrong in my initial feelings and should I give them a chance? Let me know what is on your 'Books I'd Like To Read, But Probably Never Will...' list!







2 comments:

  1. I liked Anna Karennina, it was a long read though! I think there is a retelling of it that has been released recently and it seems to have condensed the story line. I think it's just called Anna K so that might be a better option so you aren't stuck reading something for too long! I liked To Kill a Mockingbird, but I had to read it at school so it's been a few years. I loved A Song of Ice and Fire, and I think the story line and plot is more developed in the books that the TV show. There is a lot missing, but if you have other fantasy series to get to then I wouldn't make it a priority!

    Lauren :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh really? I'll have to look it up! I'm surprised we didn't read anything like that at school...I think our main ones we studied were Spies by Michael Frayn, Great Expectations and Of Mice and Men, then a whole lot of Shakespeare at A Level Literature which was disappointing haha.
      Yeah that's why I kind of wanted to read it! But with such a big series and only so many hours in the day I tend to priorities other things. To be fair, when they very first advertised the first series of the TV show I actually started to read the first book so I could try to go into it having read it first but the show started before I'd gotten half way so I gave up haha!

      x

      Delete