Monday 21 September 2020

50 Things I Don't Buy



Recently I fell down a mini hole on YouTube from eco-vloggers and minimalists simply talking through a list of 50 things they no longer or have never bought. I found myself nodding along in agreement more often than not and could even think of many other things we don't use in our house, so began compiling my own list. 
A percentage of this list is intentional, because we hold the oceans, animals and our planet Earth in general in higher regard than the use of any of item. The rest is purely down to preference. We are pretty basic and low maintenance people by nature and don't tend to go for a lot of the frills and extras that some people may regard as essentials. 
Check it out below to see the home, beauty, life etc items we have never or no longer buy.


Disposable Makeup Wipes
Disposable Period Products
Disposable Razors
Cotton Wool Balls/Pads
Skincare Products 
Body Wash/Shower Gel
Shaving Foam
Liquid Shampoo/Conditioner or other Hair Products
Aersol or Roll-on Deodorant 
Perfume

Trendy Clothes
Excess Shoes
Jewellery/Accessories
Handbags
Swimwear
Bras
Excess Make-Up
Beauty Services [Hair cuts, lashes, nails etc]
Nail Varnish
Miniature Travel Items

Excess Kitchen Appliances [We don't even have a microwave]
Cling Film
Tin Foil
Kitchen Roll
Disposable Tableware
Washing Up Liquid
Disposable Cloths/Sponges
Excess Cleaners
Air Fresheners
Tissues

TV [Licence or 'Sky' etc subscription]
Apps
Fancy Gadgets 
New Tech
Phone Cases
Music Subscriptions or CDs
Magazines/Newspapers
Car Accessories [Air freshener, decor, mats etc]
Holiday Related Food/Decor etc [Minus Halloween]
Indoor Flowers

Bottled Water
Meat
Dairy
Pre-Prepared Food
Tea/Coffee
Fizzy Juice
'Eat Out'  Food



The first twenty things I don't buy are all healthy and beauty related, some more self-explanatory than others. If you read my 'Our Eco Journey - The Bathroom' post the majority are explained there, including what on Earth I do use if I don't any of those things. When it comes to perfume I do have 2 small bottles, both of which were gifts and because I very rarely wear it, it has lasted a good while. 
I stated 'trendy clothes' and 'excess make-up' because I do occasionally buy something from these sorts of categories but not on the scale of most people. For example, I don't wear anything on-trend or buy things as the seasons change. I have a chunk of staple clothing pieces that I always wear and a few pieces of makeup for the (again, rare) moment I do pop some on, so if something is broken beyond repair, run out or no longer fits I will replace it.
Moving on to the rest of the house the kitchen also has a blog post where you can see what we use as alternatives, Our Eco Journey - The Kitchen. All of the 'techy' things speak for themselves but I will explain the last few items. Pre-prepared food relates to things like pre-cut/sliced veg or similar and 'Eat Out' food is in reference to things you buy in stores to take out and eat. We cook 99% of all our own meals but do every now and again get a takeaway pizza or something!

Let me know how many things from our list you also don't use or buy!
Until next time...



No comments:

Post a Comment