Friday 15 October 2021

What to Read in October + My TBR

 



Ooooh, it feels strange to be writing bookish content again, especially on Underland to Wonderland rather than our book blog - Pages of the Hallows. Since we're taking an unspecified length of a break from that blog yet I still wanted to share a book post for Halloween, I thought I'd just post it here!

Just like my movie post, you'll be able to tell my tastes in Halloween reads are more paranormal, magical and just generally nice fun weirdness. I want to share a list of recommended books that I have already read as well as my actual TBR for the month of October. So if you are looking for family-friendly, slightly spooky or thrilling reads this Halloween, keep reading...

---

For starters, my actual TBR:
Ghost Squad by Claribel A. Ortega
The House in the Woods (The Ghost Hunter Chronicles #1) by Yvette Fielding
The Company of Ghosts by Berlie Doherty
Ghostly Tales: Spine-Chilling Stories of the Victorian Age
The Reckless Afterlife of Harriet Stoker by Lauren James

Usually, I stick to about 3 books on my to be read list each month, however, there is so much I want to read this October that my list will likely bleed over to November. No big deal, I read these genres of books all year round anyway!


---

Earlier this year I have also read many books fitting for this season and I recommend these in particular:
The Crooked Mask (The Twisted Tree #2) by Rachel Burge
Bridge of Souls (Cassidy Blake #3) by Victoria Schwab
House of Teeth by Dan Jolley (Only on Audible)
Nightmares! the Lost Lullaby (Nightmares! #3) by Jason Segel, Kirsten Miller
The Jumbie God's Revenge (The Jumbies #3) by Tracey Baptiste
Poison for Breakfast by Lemony Snicket
The Witch of Lagg (Dark Powers #3) by Ann Pilling
Hoodoo by Ronald L. Smith

Those that are listed as part of a series I have also previously read the others and recommend those too, especially The Twisted Tree by Rachel Burge and The Jumbies by Tracey Baptiste. 


---

And finally some other must-mentions, long-standing favourites and of course classics:
The Whitby Witches by Robin Jarvis
Tales from the Haunted Mansion by Amicus Arcane
Dracula by Bram Stoker
Room 13 by Robert Swindells
Nightmare Stairs by Robert Swindells
Tales of the Peculiar by Ransom Riggs

---


Those with a sharp eye may notice a couple of additional books in the photo that have not been mentioned...some I haven't yet read and therefore cannot pass judgment and the others I may not have fully enjoyed haha! Obvious books that most probably associate with this time of year are things by Stephen King or perhaps typical horror movie novels but that isn't my cup of tea. 
A large percentage of the lists are middle grade or at least family-friendly and good for many different types of people to enjoy. I hope they serve as some inspiration and of course if you have any recommendations feel free to let me know.




No comments:

Post a Comment