Friday 10 June 2022

30 Days Wild // Week 1

 



30 Days Wild is back, back, back again!!!! Minus October (duh), June has started to become a favourite month of the year, purely because of 30DW - this is my 6th year taking part in the annual event. It's run by The Wildlife Trusts and is to encourage us to get out and take part in 'Random Acts Of Wildness' every day in June. Unless you are completely new here you will know we are a very wild family, to begin with! However, it's not only an excuse to share nature and wildlife themed photos every single day of my project 365  but it is also a fun way to mix up my wildness to include things other than just my obsession with photographing every bird that enters my garden haha.

Just as I did last year I'm sharing each week here as well as daily on my Instagram.

Check out Week 1 of 30 Days Wild from last year, 2021, here >> 30 Days Wild // Week 1

---

Day 1
Big Wild Breakfast.

I was so lucky this year that the Big Wild Breakfast landed on Mr H's one day off a week, so he was able to join us! The piggies had fun in the sun, nibbling grass for their breakfasts and we had a treat breakfast. We had a male Blackbird stop by to see what was going on, a couple of Gold Finches came for a bite too and lots of other birds etc flew overhead providing our soundtrack for the morning!
A great start to the challenge. 








Day 2 
Mini Beasts Hunt.

As I sat in the garden staining some new shelves this morning, I felt something hit my arm and fall to the floor beside me. I had a quick look and upon first inspection assumed it was a leaf from the surrounding trees...until I looked again! It was a Green Shield Bug! When I told you I dropped everything and ran into the house to grab my camera, I'm not lying! I was like something out of a cartoon haha. I got to sit and watch him for a while, taking photos, until he took off. He didn't go far though and settled down into our Kale plant for a while. Isn't he cool?!
Also a cool dude found exploring the soil in a tub of Marigolds was a Vine Weevil and as much as they drive me insane I had to get a snap of the Housefly on our Recycling bin!







Day 3
Bee Lino Print.

The first art or craft of the month! I like to mix it up and include some nature-themed crafty bits during 30 Days Wild, because although I do try to spend some time outside every single day, I'm sure my constant garden bird posts would get tiresome. Anyway, I haven't tried lino printing since middle school (so we're talking like 20 years?!) and I was dying to crack out my kit and have a go. I just couldn't think of any ideas! It had to be wild and I'm not the floweriest of people, but when I was watering the plants this morning and spotting a gorgeous bee on our raspberry plant I wondered how it hadn't come to me before now!
We love bees in our household and I love how my first attempt in so many years turned out. 




Day 4
Miss Kevin Our Pigeon Buddy.

I've always been and forever will be a sucker for the underdog. Kevin is a pigeon who has been visiting us for weeks and had a bit of a wound on her neck. With our experience of Rhea at the start of this year (read more about her here > Rhea the Rescue Pigeon), I keep a close eye on all our garden visitors and when I noticed her injury I observed her daily to see that she was eating, drinking and flying okay and she has been. She stops by almost every day at some point and has especially taken to the tiny bird bird table in the back garden.
Her wound has even healed well - I've been able to get quite a good look at it by taking photos with my long lens which has been handy!  Now she's just left with a few stray feathers on the side of her neck which is where the name Kevin came from. If you are a fellow Disney fan you might get it!




Day 5
World Environment Day.

While I cleaned up a little outside our gate and pruned the bushes I came across this 2-Spot Ladybird who I transferred onto our Nasturtiums.

This world environment day I implore you to take action now for our planet.
Going vegan is one of the biggest ways to reduce your environmental impact and could cut your carbon footprint from food up to 73%!!
Not to mention the millions of innocent lives that could be saved.
Other ways to do your bit - Reduce, reuse, recycle! Limit your plastic waste. Pick up any litter you see.
 Conserve water. Turn off appliances/don't leave things on standby. Choose reusables, say no to disposable.
Plant trees and flowers. But go vegan please 🌿🖤




Day 6
Make This Book Wild!

The Wildlife Trusts ran a competition a few weeks ago for a super cool looking book and I needed it, so after a particularly bad day Mr H ordered it for me. To use alongside it, I also ordered some beautiful washi tapes from the super talented Ellis Woolley Illustration and they arrived today! This gorgeous bee stopped by to check out the book as I was photographing it too.

In other wild news I watched our daily Pigeon flock doing what looked like eating the petals off of a Hebe in the garden, a couple Starlings and Sparrows polished off 3 whole fat balls just after I'd topped up when my RSPB order arrived and I did a spot of gardening - clearing out some of the finished spring pots ready to re-pot for summer!






Day 7 
Hedgehog Hideaway.

The first full week of 30 Days Wild is complete! Today I filled up the Hedgehog food using the new bowl that arrived with my RSPB order yesterday. This is the cabin we got when we had Hoggle (Hoggle the Rescue Hedgehog) so it is now a couple years old and weathering well considering. 
After I took the photo I popped the bowl inside to protect it from any other visitors who may pinch it before the hedgehogs could get to it!




And that's Week 1 of 30 Days Wild. If you want to keep up with our wild adventures in real time, pop over to @mrs.hall0w on Instagram where we are on day 10 right now and I'll be back here next Friday with week 2's round up!

Until next time...



No comments:

Post a Comment