Wednesday 22 June 2022

Born Free Forever at Exhibition Park

 



The Born Free Foundation is an animal charity that has a special place in my heart, being the first wild animal charity I was introduced to as a child. I grew up watching the Born Free VHS', and have followed their work from the time I was old enough. Born Free, alongside many other charities and conservationists like Monkey World Ape Rescue, Steve Irwin, WWF, Jane Goodall and more have made me the person I am today and lit my fire for animal welfare, conservation and the wild world in general.

2022 would have marked co-founder Bill Travers 100th birthday and to mark the occasion it has been dubbed 'The Year of the Lion' a year of action to 'help halt the devastating decline in wild lions and campaign for the welfare of lions exploited in zoos, circuses and as ‘pets’.'

To honour of the year of action for lions Born Free have collaborated with artists Gillie and Marc to produce a travelling exhibition of life-size, bronze lion sculptures - Born Free Forever! This aims to raise much-needed funds and the all-important awareness for lions through the Forever Lions Fund.
Surprisingly, the second stop on the lion tour was our very own Newcastle! I had no idea until this was announced that Newcastle was in fact the birthplace of Bill Travers himself.

Despite still not really going far or doing much outside of the house, I had to go. It wasn't an option not to. So on April 27th Mr H and I took a drive into town (our first time in the city in 2 years and 2 months) to see the sculptures in person. As special as it was to walk among the lions, I'd hoped that an early morning visit would mean it would be quiet...however, it ended up overcast and busier than expected meaning my photos didn't turn out as I'd hoped haha! Luckily, while my parents were down visiting a couple of weeks later my Mam accompanied me on an even earlier trip to Exhibition Park which was blessed by Mother Nature with blue skies and a beautiful glow from the rising sun. This was an even more magical experience and I'm so glad we decided to go twice. This post is home to the countless photos I took during those visits.

To find out more about Born Free Forever click here.



















































Well, I didn't realize just how many photos I'd actually taken until I came to do this post...! At least I can remember it all in detail haha.
To find out more about Born Free Forever click here.
To donate to the Forever Lions click here.

Until next time...



No comments:

Post a Comment