Monday 15 July 2024

What I Read Last Quarter // April - June


The second quarterly reading round-up of 2024!!! *Klaxons sound* 
I like reading. And I like collecting books. I also like to share the books I've read as I don't quite have the same tastes as many 30-odd-year-old women and enjoy shouting about the things I think need more love. It's been said that I rate too highly and rarely mention anything under a 3-star, however, it must be said that I only read for pleasure and so I choose things that I'm pretty sure I will love. Life is too short (and there are far too many good books to get around to), to waste time reading books that aren't my thing!

So, anyway, here is everything I read throughout April, May, and June.

Check out the previous post here >  What I Read Last Quarter // January - March



April
Wilding by Isabella Tree and Angela Harding 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Animal Tales from India by Nikita Gill 🌟🌟🌟
The Wheel of the Year by Fiona Cook 🌟🌟🌟🌟
The Magic Callaloo by Trish Cooke 🌟🌟🌟🌟
The Unadoptables by Hana Tooke 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Viva Durant and the Mystery at the Masquerade Ball by Ashli St. Armant 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 (audio)
Winnie the Pooh: Tales from the Forest by Jane Riordan 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
The Girl Who Soared Over Fairyland and Cut the Moon in Two by Catherynne M. Valente DNF


Getting some hardbacks and larger books off my TBR shelves! It was a pretty successful reading month too if you discount the DNF... I've read the previous two and loved them but Fairyland 3 I just really struggled to get into. I decided to set it aside for now and come back to it at a later date.  Highlights were of course (as you can see from their ratings) Wilding and The Unadoptables.

---



May
A Street Dog Named Pup by Gill Lewis 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Doggie Language by Lili Chin 🌟🌟🌟🌟
Spellhound by Lian Tanner 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
In Defence of Dogs by John Bradshaw 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
The Mountain Rescue Dog by Juliette Forrest 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
The Black Dog Mystery by Ellery Queen Jr. 🌟🌟🌟🌟 (audio)

Dog month! So good! Everything I read was awesome and I highly recommend literally every single book, maybe leaving out the audiobook, as with its age there was some questionable language. 
When I say I highly recommend them, I also wish it was a legal requirement for dog owners to read up on dogs. In Defence of Dogs is an incredible read that goes through everything from the very beginning of dog domestication to why dogs are the way they are. Current owners, future owners, ex-owners, dog lovers, dog haters - read it. 
A Street Dog Named Pup by Gill Lewis needs to be mentioned too. Though billed as a middle grade, this is a heartwrenching story that needs to have more eyes on it. The journey of Pup, owned, dumped, street dog, fighting dog, pound dog, rescued dog and all the ups and downs that all brings. It was actually a pretty hard read for an empath animal lover like me but it shines a light on the trials that dogs face in today's scary world. 

---



June
Twister by Juliette Forrest 🌟🌟🌟🌟
Icefire by Chris d'Lacey 🌟🌟🌟🌟
Dracul by J.D Barker and Dacre Stoker 🌟🌟 (audio)
Storm by Sarah Driver 🌟🌟🌟

I'm absolutely gutted that June ended up being my worst reading month of the year so far! Not in quality but in quantity. Not that how many books I read matters, but out of the whole year June was when I had touted being an awesome reading month as we had our holiday this month. Our holiday ended up being cut short (as in we came home after 1 night) and later in the month Baker was poorly so reading was on the backburner. 
After reading The Mountain Rescue Dog by Juliette Forrest last month, I decided to try Twister and though very different in many ways, it was a beautiful, unique story. 
Storm is the last in a trilogy, a trilogy that I adore and so 3 stars may seem rude. I actually feel so conflicted by the rating as overall I enjoyed the read and especially liked the ending, however as a rule I remove stars for certain things and sadly this book included some of those things (in this case it was unnecessary animal killing). 
Oh, and I was so disappointed with Dracul. I've had it on my shelf since it came out but this month decided to audiobook it and I'm so glad I didn't waste time reading the hardcopy.

---


[Click to open full size!]




Just some quick stats...
Total books read in the first quarter of 2024 - 18
Physical books - 15
Audiobooks - 3
Longest book - The Unadoptables, 389 pages
Shortest book - The Magic Callaloo, 32 pages

Favorite book from each month...
April - Wilding by Isabella Tree
May - A Street Dog Named Pup by Gill Lewis
June - Icefire by Chris d'Lacey

Here's to more awesome reads in the next quarter of 2024 and I hope that you have had a great reading year so far too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment