Friday 23 August 2024

Portpatrick, Galloway Holiday 2023 // Part 1

 

June 2023, Mr H and I took our little man Baker on his second camping holiday to Dumfries and Galloway. On the second morning of our trip, we drove over to Portpatrick nice and early armed with the Treasure Trails Treasure Quest booklet to explore the area. As always, I took a whole host of photos so I've split this post into two parts, see below for the start of our adventure...

On the west coast of the Rhins of Galloway, Portpatrick was a 20-minute drive/8 miles from our campground North Rhinns Camping, Stranraer. It is an old fishing village boasting a beautiful harbour, ruins of 
St Patrick's Chapel (shown in part 2) and is a half-mile walk from Dunskey Castle which we visited from the opposite side the previous year. We had hoped to do the walk up to the Castle this year, however contrary to what the photos show, the day began to turn extremely hot and we returned to the aircon of the car for the sake of Baker more than anything. 

I'm a big fan of Treasure Trails and have done many over the past 10 years. I find that whether visiting a new place or your hometown it helps you to discover hidden gems, learn facts and makes a fun structure to your day. We did complete this one, but I haven't shared anything except photos of some of the areas included so no major spoilers if you fancy doing it one day!




























This year, 2024, the RNLI are celebrating 200 years of lifesaving. I don't know about people who live in-land, but as someone who grew up in a coastal town, the RNLI has always been well-known and important to me. As stated on their website, ''For almost 150 years an all-weather lifeboat has operated from Portpatrick's picturesque harbour. The crews have been honoured with five awards for gallantry, including a Bronze Medal for a launch to one of the worst peacetime disasters involving a British merchant vessel.'' It is well seen in Portpatrick how appreciated and central to the village the Lifeboat Station is and if you're interested in more of their history and medal records I recommend popping over to > Portpatrick's station history | RNLI

Something personal to me is that Portpatrick was the first place I ever saw Black Guillemots! Being the bird obsessor that I am, that's a special thing to me. I'll share more on our day in the part 2 post. 
Until next time...


2023 Holiday Posts:
North Rhinns Camping, Stranraer 2023

2022 Holiday Posts:


No comments:

Post a Comment