Monday, 13 April 2026

What I Read in March

 


In September 2019, Mr H and I started our own book blog; those posts are now merged with this blog, and in December 2019, I posted my very first quarterly reading round-up. I have continued to post quarterly summaries until this year, when I decided to switch to monthly posts.

Here is what I read in March 2026.


With Love by Jane Goodall 
🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
On World Wildlife Day I wanted to read something wildlife related so I chose this quick little read from Jane Goodall. With Love documents 10 short stories of particular Chimpanzees that Jane knew from her time with them in the Gombe, showing the respect, affection and emptathy shown by their actions toward each other. I only wish this were longer because I adored it. I have seen reviews critizing some of the themes mentioned in the book, stating they are not 'child friendly', however I disagree on two points; a book isn't only for children due to it having illustraions - people of all ages enjoy artwork along with lovely stories, and I'm sure children are exposed to much more violent, upsetting subjects in other media and everyday life. These are real moments in the animal world, not fairytales.


King Alfred and the Ice Coffin by Kevin Crossley-Holland 
🌟🌟🌟🌟
I started reading this with a bit of confusion. I wasn't one hundered percent sure the premise of this but as the pages passed my confusion moved onto intruige and entertainment. It is a tale 'taken from history' which often makes stories a little more interesting to me. The beautiful illustraitions by Chris Riddell were the perfection addition too. 

The Invisible Parade by Leigh Bardugo 
🌟🌟🌟🌟
Hmm, this book caused me many mixed feelings. It should be simple to review a 'childrens picture book' however due to the themeing it's a little more complex. Of course, having diverse and multicultural representation in media, including childrens media, is important, however the author isn't from the culture represented which presents some hiccups. The overall conversation surrounding death and grief is something I encourage being discussed, and the art work from co-author and illustrater  John Picacio is stunning, but some problematic moments overshadow the positives a little.


Animal Magic: Four Stories of the Great Outdoors by Michael Morpurgo 
🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
This could be my favorite read of the year so far. Michael Morpurgo is a highly decorated author for a reason and although I rarely take to popular authors Michael Morpurgo is an exception. The emotional responses he can conjure through his storytelling (particularly when rearding animals) is an exceptional type of magic, and every story in this quartet possessed that magic. I want all adults to read this book, especially those disconnected from nature. 


The Rose Field by Philip Pullman [audio] 
🌟🌟🌟🌟
Despite owning the hardcopy and reading the first two books in the series that way, I decided this time to listen to the audiobook. I really enjoyed the first book, more so even than the original 'His Dark Materials' in which it spins off from, however I struggled with the second (though after this expereince I feel I may have enjoyed it more had I listened to it) leading to my decision. Michael Sheen narrates the enterity of Philip Pullman's Lyra-related works and was a pivitol factor in my enjoyment. Even without the additon of the wonderful conversation between the pair at the end of the book, Sheen's understanding and love for the world is evident which contributes to a captivating reading. A thoughtful ending to the series.


Coming Home by Michael Morpurgo 
🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
When I ordered this book I didn't fully realize how young of an age range it was aimed at, non the less I enjoyed reading this to my cat and enjoying the short and sweet tale with beautiful artwork by Kerry Hyndman.

Goddess: 50 Goddesses, Spirits, Saints and Other Female Figures Who Have Shaped Belief by Janina RamΓ­rez 
🌟🌟🌟
🌟
An interesting look at great range of devine female figures from across the world and multiple cultures. When the go to information is often focused on 'Gods', it's a refreshing change to have a whole book dedicated to all the feminine forms and not just the angelic, goody goodys! This was quite well rounded, gave me an opportunity to learn more about some names I was already aware of and introduced me to a few names I wasn't. 

Real-life Mythical Creatures and Their Stories of Survival by Anita Ganeri 
🌟🌟🌟
I guess I was slightly disappointed in this. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoyed it hence the rating; the premise is an exciting topic but at 48 pages it was far too short and surface level. Really, I suppose for it's target audience it's fine, but I can't help compare to other similar books which have had a bit more to them. 

Birds: Explore Their Extraordinary World by Miranda Krestovnikoff
 πŸŒŸπŸŒŸπŸŒŸ
Another 3 star book for me and I think for many of the same reasons as the book above. I am already a fan of the printmaker Angela Harding and so her additions to this book are what originally drew me to it, but in my unpopular opinion something just felt missing. 

Otherlands by Thomas Halliday 
🌟🌟🌟🌟
A Gorgeous adaptation of Thomas Halliday's prize winning adult non-fiction book, that is still on my TBR. When it comes to timelines, especially those going back millions of years, a visual representation can be really beneficial. Overall I found this packed with information, brought to life with eye-catching artwork from  Gavin Scott, and a great introduction (or even companion book) to the adult version. 

Evolution: The Human Story by Alice Roberts
 πŸŒŸπŸŒŸπŸŒŸπŸŒŸ
Though the computer generated 'realistic model reconstructions' ancor this book fully in the early 2010s, the scientific information is presented in an accessible way to give the general reader an in-depth understanding of the human evolutionary journey. The physical size and style of the book may lead people to think this is a childrens book, however I think it is more suited to teens onwards who are not already versed in anthropology/archeology/bioarchaeology. Some reviews state it is not indepth enough, and I can understand that from a professional opionion, but I feel this is more for us with general interest and no PHDs! A fun and interesting read on a subject that more of the general public should know about.




Last year, I also had a stack of books that were laid out as daily, weekly or even monthly 'chapters'. This year, the stack is taller. I started six of those books in January, another three were added in February and I will rate and review them at the end of the year.

Year-Long Reads
Nature Writing for Every Day of the Year by Jane McMorland Hunter
Black History for Every Day of the Year by David Olusoga, Yinka Olusoga
Wonderland: A Year of Britain's Wildlife, Day by Day by Brett Westwood, Stephen Moss
Words for Life: To Boost Every Day of the Year by Susie Dent
Telling the Seasons: Stories, Celebrations and Folklore around the Year by Martin Maudsley
Urban Nature Every Day: Discover the Natural World on Your Doorstep Jane McMorland Hunter, Sally Hughes
Hettie Nettle's Handbook for Hedgewitches by Claire Barker
The Hidden Seasons: A Calendar of Nature's Clues and Signs by Tristan Gooley
The Wildlife Gardener's Almanac by Jackie Bennett

March Stats
March Pages - 1,027
Year-Long Reads Pages - 226
Total Pages - 1,253
Audio Listening Time - 22h 36m
Average Rating - 4.1



Another sucessful reading month complete, I'm happy to have gone through a lot of the physically larger books on my shelves and learned lots too! I will forever be a broken record in aggressively pushing 'children's' books onto anyone who will listen because they aren't just enjoyable and beautiful, but are captivating and knowledgeable in their own right. Many people stay away from non-fiction due to misconception it is difficult and boring to read, so I suggest finding a childrens book on the subject you are interested in to ease you into learning more. 



No comments:

Post a Comment