Friday 18 June 2021

30 Days Wild // Week 2

 I can't believe we're already over halfway through 30 Days Wild! I've tried extra hard this year to have a more diverse selection of activities and images rather than the usual bird and bee overload, though that's definitely more challenging when the vast majority of time is at home. I do have some more ideas to fill the final fortnight thankfully and I'm spacing out my crafty/DIY projects even though I'm itching to get going with them haha!
Make sure to click here to catch up on how week 1 went >> 30 Days Wild // Week 1



June 8th - Day 8 
World Oceans Day! 🐋🐠🐬🐙🐟🐡🐳🦈
It was so sad not being able to visit the water on this day of all days!
Growing up by the sea means I've always had a connection to the water.
As a child, I wanted to be a marine biologist and of course (with growing up in the 90s) I had a dolphin themed room.
So instead, I got out the stones that I collected last beach trip to do some more pebble painting!
I hadn't done any pebble painting since November and even then they were mainly Woodland themed.
I have 5 Ocean/Sea/Beach style stones started off, now left to dry before working on them some more and finally hiding them out in the world for others to find.

Not just for World Oceans Day, but every day, I encourage you to consider what you can do to Save Our Oceans!
Remember, Fish are Friends not Food! Be mindful of your plastic use/waste. Invest in reusables.
Pick up your friggin rubbish. Conserve water. Go cruelty-free. Don't buy unethical tourist souvenirs.
Support ocean conservation organizations. And leave nothing but footprints 👣




June 9th - Day 9
For Day 9 of 30 Days Wild I want to share our 'wild patch'.
Every year we always leave a third of our front grass uncut.
This morning was mow day for the rest of the grass because I have to admit to caving to social pressures
and not wanting to anger neighbours by leaving the whole thing wild.
This one little patch along with all our flowers are definitely well enjoyed by all the bees, birds and other insects which makes me so happy.
I very much recommend it.








June 10th - Day 10
Cloud watching and Eclipse photographing!
We had a nice relax in the garden today, as did the Guinea Pigs while munching on some of our homegrown goodness.
Can you see the Dolphin shaped cloud? Or is it just me??







June 11th - Day 11
Another little DIY I like to do is make my own potpourri with dried petals and fragrance oil.
I'm not a fan of flowers, as in bunches and bouquets because they just die.
Instead, I prefer them in the garden to live as long as possible and I like to use the deadheads.

We also have a daily Blue Tit feeder visitor who has a sore looking head
and a rare Sparrow visitor making use of our tree!











June 12th - Day 12
Our last ever walk at Newburn Riverside. Mr H finally had his last shift at his previous job this day.
I wanted to get a final view from the bridge as well as get a photo of this beautiful lilac,
so we had a quick little wander around the corner before driving away for the last time.
No matter where I am, be it Disneyland or a random road, I'm always taking in the details.
Although I won't miss the stress that this place is linked to, I will miss the birds, insects, trees, wildflowers and everything in between. 
(As was the case last week, I took many more photos than just these which will come in a separate post soon.)






June 13th - Day 13
Day 13 of 30 Days Wild ended up being a Bee rescue!
We've had plenty of similar situations over the past few years, just last week I had to help a little guy who'd gotten stuck in the greenhouse overnight.
Sadly, this Bee had been caught by a spider web at the entrance of where they are living.
They seemed exhausted by the time we found and freed them.
They crawled straight onto my hand and every time I tried to transfer them to a plant or flower they turned around and clung onto my hand.
I set them on my knee, assisted them in gently pulling off some residual web, offered them some sugar water and just sat with them on my hand while they rested.
After some tears and heartbreak at them struggling, falling etc
I was finally successful in transferring them off my hand near where they are currently living.
Checking back after a while, I was glad to see they'd finally been able to take off.

Please look after our Bees. They are so important. Every single one.





June 14th - Day 14
Closing out the week I thought I'd update you on the little Caterpillar who's set up camp in our Poker Plant.
They've been there for over a week now and if you look back at last weeks post you will see how much they've grown!
Then there is a peek in our greenhouse while doing the morning rounds. 
We planted a much smaller selection this year and with our climate, we're a little further behind the South, but it's coming along well.
We've already made use of the Parsley and Lettuce, Tomatoes are flowering, the Courgette plant has 5 Courgette and we have Halloween hopes for the Pumpkin!





I know I said it last week, but my goodness this month really is zooming by. Unfortunately, I've kind of put a lot of pressure on myself with this 'challenge' and gotten upset or stressed when what I wanted to do on a said day couldn't/didn't happen, then settling for a basic photo from my garden or whatever. Now I've typed that out it really does remind me that our lives are wild to begin with and our normal everyday activities are good enough to be featured.
In real-time we're now on day 18, so if you'd like to keep up to date with my daily photos in real-time pop on over to https://www.instagram.com/mrs.hall0w/.

No comments:

Post a Comment