Friday 2 July 2021

30 Days Wild // Week 4

 
Aww, it's the final post of 30 Days Wild!! Boo :( This month has both flown by and also felt like it has always been June. It may be my fifth year taking part in this project but I really think this month has been one of my best, most diverse by far. 
Obviously, 30 days is longer than four weeks and so this post has a bonus two days worth of wildness!
And of course, there are another 21 days to check out in the previous three posts, see below:
30 Days Wild // Week 1
30 Days Wild // Week 2
30 Days Wild // Week 3




June 22nd - Day 22
I love our front garden In Summer - look at it!
We preen it all once a year then let nature take over! So bright and happy.
It's all grown in so well that this year, that the hut we put in last year for Hoggle our rescue hog is looking very much at home.
The range of flowers and plants means it's well sheltered and protected,
you can see Mr H's hand holding the big bush back so we could get in to check it and top up the water.

[To learn about Hoggle and see lots of cute photos, including the hut when we first put it in,
see this post here > Hoggle the Rescue Hedgehog ]









June 23rd - Day 23
This wildlife walk was a milestone for me. I have not been anywhere around the public, no shops, no museums, nothing in over a year.
I've really struggled with my intense fear of getting ill this past year and hate leaving my house.
I wear a mask to go the two steps from my gate to my car to pick my husband up from work and the same on the way back. We have taken a handful of walks, compared to our usual pre-2020 adventures, but this past month I've pushed myself to get out even more - 4 walks in one month to be exact...a record for the past 16 months.
All that being said, the milestone was our return to one of our favourite places Beamish Open Air Museum.
We love it here not only because we love history and museums, but because we get to enjoy those things while being outside in nature with wildlife and the resident animals too. Baker comes with us because he can have a safe, happy walk without fear as all dogs must be on leads and he absolutely adores it. Make sure to watch out in the coming weeks for a post of all the photos we took this day!






June 24th - Day 24
Another early morning visit from the wonderful Hedgehog, who I hope is our Hoggle!
It's such a privilege to have had so many animals choose our garden to come and enjoy and the fact that I have seen Hoggle
on our security camera, enjoying our wild patch on multiple occasions now makes me very happy! 





June 25th - Day 25
Last year's 30 Days Wild I made a nature mandala out of petals and leaves from my garden, this year I'm sharing my feather collection.
 Obviously, I only pick up already lost feathers and those in the little jar have been found this month in my front garden!



June 26th - Day 26
2 years down and we're entering year 3 at Hallow 'Manor'!
Each year we have taken a photo of the house, measuring the growth and progress of the beautiful garden.
Unfortunately for the photo, today has been the first out of the three years that it is pouring down but at least the plants are loving it!
Can you spy a little photo bomber at the window?

(Oh also, some of our plants are on the property line to next door so we aren't able to prune those.
And the bush taking over the bottom left window is intentional as it gives privacy, a beautiful
green glow to the kitchen and a wonderful view of the little birds playing from inside.)



June 27th - Day 27
We've seen this little guy a few times now but was excited to get a photo of them caught red-handed today!
They 'eat' the bamboo screening on our fence and make quite a bit of noise while doing so!
Apparently, they fly off with it to make their nests.



June 28th - Day 28
Our new bee hotel arrived today!
As excited as I am for it, I'm slightly annoyed I wasn't able to make my own as I love woodworking.
 Earlier in the month, I attempted a bird house build, but the off cuts of wood we had had been warped from being outside so didn't work out.
Then the cost of wood and materials for that and bee lodgings wasn't good.
So we ended up having to go with the cheaper, less personal option for now...!
I'll make a bird house or two soon hopefully.






29th June - Day 29
For the penultimate day of 30 Days Wild, an update on our greenhouse etc.
Growing your own food is healthier for you and the planet, with more nutrients and no chemicals/pesticides, saves a little on carbon emissions as there is no long-distance transportation and it's fun to know exactly how your food got on your plate.
Hopefully next year we will have more time and maybe eventually our name will get called for an allotment!
(We signed up when we moved in 2 years ago, the list is apparently 7 years...)













30th June - Day 30!
The final day of 30 Days Wild! Although of course, it is never the last wild day for our family. 
Anyway, I love that I got to have something special featured on this last day of the project!
I visited all my friends down at the river. I used to live mere meters from this riverside walk and I'd interact with all the birds, seals, otters and more every single day.
It has been a huge miss for me, so it was lovely to spend a short while with them all this morning.
I hadn't even seen a swan in over a year so I enjoyed watching them sleep and preen and swim. 
We were very lucky indeed to grow up in such a beautiful town full of history, nature and wildlife!



And just like that, 30 days have come and gone. My 5th year taking part in 30 Days Wild has been my best so far and it will definitely not be my last. I urge you all to do something wild, look after our planet and make sure we can all (creatures great and small) enjoy mother nature for centuries to come. 
I have many other posts on this blog of nature and wildlife adventures, as well as vegan food and eco-living so make sure to have a look if you have enjoyed these weekly wild posts!
Until next time!




No comments:

Post a Comment