Monday 23 November 2020

Our Eco Journey - Out and About



There was no eco-themed post last month (unless you count the '[Even More] Vegan Meal Ideas' post, because technically vegan eating is still eco friendly) however, this has been sitting in my drafts and I've decided it was time to get the penultimate post up. Looking back at the previous posts I can already see some differences in products we have started to use, forgot to include or stopped using so I will probably re-visit this series at some point in the future. 

Before I continue, please feel free to check out the other posts in Our Eco Journey:
The Bathroom
The Kitchen
50 Things I Don't Buy

As for this post, you can see from the title I'm going to share how our household brings eco-living with us on the go. Even before the pandemic we weren't the type to go here, there and everywhere much nor do I have a day job meaning 'Out and About' doesn't feature too prominently for us but we definitely do have lots of things that are there just in case!



Out and About

Reusable water bottles
This is the most basic thing anyone can do. I have used reusable bottles for as long as I can remember and cannot understand why people would rather buy a small plastic bottle every day than bring a bottle of water of juice with them - saving money and the planet one bottle at a time! 

Coffee Mugs/Flasks
I don't drink hot drinks, but Mr H is a big coffee lover. It's rare he'd get a coffee out and about because we're pretty frugal and prefer to not pay £££ for something we can get at home, but he does like to make his morning cuppa in a mug that has a to-go lid so he can drink it in the car or in a flask that he could take on the train etc.
For people who do like to buy coffee at shops, they will usually make it in reusable cups so please consider it as they are a huge waste - no matter how seasonally themed and pretty they may be!

Metal straws
I tend to use my re-usable bottles at home too in an effort to stop spillages (I'm clumsy and have animals), so straws aren't something we need all that often. However they have come in handy when needed for medical reasons or to have in my bag if ever the rare occasion of having a drink out anywhere arose.

Bamboo Cutlery Set
Not that they've had any use yet but Mr H picked out a cool little set of cutlery for use when camping or picnicking etc. It comes in a nice little roll to keep it all together and has all utensils you could need when on the go.

Titanium Spork
Similarly to the above, this is a utensil to eat with that is great for popping in your bag. This is the one I picked out because I was sceptical to whether I'd break the bamboo ones!

Tubs/Boxes
As I mentioned in our Kitchen Eco Journey post I really couldn't tell you the last time I used cling film or baking foil. You can get fancy reusable sandwich wraps though many are made with beeswax making them unsuitable for vegans or they are super expensive and unless you use them a lot it doesn't seem worth it. So when we want to take food out with us we have a stash of plastic tubs, of all sizes, from many places over the years that we repurpose and use time and time again.

Produce bags
These have been sitting in the bottom of the drawer for the longest time because we haven't done a food shop in person for a long time. However, if you do and you buy vegetables or baked products you need these! I know a lot of stores are replacing their plastic produce bags with paper ones, but even then the majority have a big plastic window in the which seems counterproductive. 
These reusable, drawstring bags are a great size, strong and can go in the washing machine!

Tote bags etc
Most of you should know what these are. We have an extensive collection with some kept in the car, each of our backpacks and probably all over the house. 



There we have it, another chapter in our Eco Journey down. Originally I'd grouped together the topic of this post and what is now next month's the last in the series - Pets - as I assumed there wouldn't be much to share. Evidently, after compiling it all I realized it made for a heck of a lengthy post hence splitting into two.
I hope it is helpful to at least one person who can change even one thing they do or use while out and about to give our planet the helping hand it so desperately needs. As I said in the introduction, there will more than likely be things I have forgotten but these are the main things that come to mind. Do you use any of these things already? If so what? Are there any other eco products you like for when you are on the go?

Until next time!







No comments:

Post a Comment