Friday 15 January 2021

VEGANUARY! What We Ate This Week #2





It's week 2 of Veganuary! To read more about what Veganuary is and why I'm putting these posts together, make sure you check out the first post here > VEGANUARY! What We Ate This Week #1 

In short, my husband and I are vegan and Veganuary is a challenge for non-vegans to try the lifestyle for a month to see how awesome it is! I've decided to publish an extra post here each week of January sharing our evening meals each day to prove how basic, easy, down to Earth, cheap, simple, varied, nutritious, tasty and more vegan food can be. The majority of vegan options in restaurants and recipes I see online are complex and over the top, most completely not fussy eater friendly. Mine are. 

Vegan doesn't mean eating crazy things like mushroom stroganoff, pulled-pork-style shredded jackfruit and sticky sesame cauliflower, vegan simply means eating without any animal products. 
Keep reading below to see how a normal couple eats on the daily!


Day 8 - Burger, Chips and Mushy Peas
My favourite Quorn hot and spicy burgers again, Mr H had bean burgers,
you can find many other burger alternatives. Including 'beef burger' replicas etc. 


Day 9 - Mash and Veg Dinner with Sausages
I am so annoyed that this night I forgot to take a photo. Mr H actually made this and it slipped my mind.
Therefore the photo above is from a previous meal and features more potatoes and is obviously minus the sausages.


Day 10 - Quesadillas with Smashed Garlic Potatoes
The lack of greenness makes this photo less appealing to the eye,
but these cheesy quesadillas are just as flavorful as the non-vegan originals. 

Day 11 - Gluten-Free Spaghetti with Sauteed Broccoli and Peppers
You'll learn from these posts that broccoli is one of my favourite foods.


Day 12 - Baked Potato and Beans with Mixed Leaf Salad
Super basic, not too high in calories and semi-healthy.
Mr H added vegan cheese to his which you can do too!


Day 13 - Balti Curry with Brown Rice, Peas and Chips.
An actual down to Earth and real-life menu includes things like leftovers.
We had leftover Balti Curry from last week so it was used tonight.

Day 14 - Homemade Creamy Broccoli Soup
As a picky eater, my soup range was always limited to Lentil.
Last year I added Leek and Potato and now I tried making/eating Broccoli for the first time.
It wasn't bad but with certain taste and texture aversions, it'll take a while to get used to.


Something Sweet - Oreos!
Although there are obviously hundreds of options for snacks,
sweet treats and such I still want to share just one thing we may have eaten each week.
This week I had some Oreos. I ordered different ones but online shopping means substitutes.



That was another week in our vegan meals. I hope it showed that it isn't all tofu, mushrooms and seeds. You can be a fussy eater, have other dietary requirements, not be the best cook, have little time to prepare meals and still be vegan. If you love animals or care about the future health of our planet or even just want to improve your own health, please consider giving vegan a chance. You can see more of our meal ideas in these posts here.


For more of an explanation why vegan is the way to go, without graphic imagery etc, listen to this >


No comments:

Post a Comment