Friday 4 August 2023

Cats I Loved in February 2023

 

Usually, these posts start very differently- cataloguing my journey to becoming a volunteer with Cats Protection and explaining my role, however, this one is different.
Since I published the previous 'Cats I Loved in...' post I have sadly had to step back from my role at our local adoption centre due to health reasons and increased stress and anxiety. I miss all of the cats terribly and this post is a month late because it actually hurts to look back at all these beautiful faces and know I won't be helping any more cats firsthand. 

My main role was as a Desensitization Volunteer and I also took photos, videos and did some other website and social media work. I started in October 2021 and officially left on June 19th 2023 meaning I was with my adoption centre for 19 and a half months. 

These photos are from the cats I had the pleasure of meeting and loving in February 2023. I publish these posts on a six-month delay, meaning the vast majority of the cats will have been rehomed and many renamed. 







Caramel Tibshelf
Thomas
Michael
Marco
Buttons
Earl Summers



Thomas

During my time at the AC, there were a handful of cats who became extra special to me. 
Cats I worked closer with, who had longer stays and/or were particularly shy, scared or sad.
Thomas was one of those. 
He would hiss at many people who would enter his pen and due to having a missing eye as well as his past life he was very frightened.
Thomas and I read together.
We read the whole Wizard of Oz book together and over the weeks I saw such a transformation.

I never got to touch Thomas or have him sit on my knee for hugs like many others but that didn't make our connection any less significant.
This week I'd decided to pop in on an extra specifically to just spend time with him,
and I am so lucky I did because the next day he was going to a foster home.

We got to finish our book, to say our goodbyes and I even got some slow blinks from him.
I adored this boy and he was another I wish I had been in the position to bring home.
Hopefully, he is happy and healthy in a new home now.





Smokey Joe
Michael
Bonkers Donkers & Fizzy Fifi






Theadore
Nena (apparently pronounced Nina...)
Mama
Penelope






Alma & Bagheera
Jacob
Mama
Tigger


-----

When leaving their pens I told each and every cat ' I love you' and my heart always broke to close the door behind me, whether they are sitting cosy in their hide or clawing and meowing at the glass. This volunteer placement was a huge part of my life and part of my weekly routine. I am gutted that I will not be continuing my journey with Cats Protection but I still support them via fundraising events and urge you to check out your local centre!

Pop on over to Cats Protection | UK’s Largest Cat Welfare Charity to find the centre closest to you. Donate, shop online, buy from the centres' Amazon wishlist and most importantly ADOPT DON'T SHOP!!! Oh, and spay and neuter you're bloomin' pets. Rescue centres all over the country are really struggling right now and they all need your support. Thanks!

Check out lots more cute cats in the previous post in this series here >

No comments:

Post a Comment