Monday 14 August 2023

The Birds of 2022! // August

 

It's year 3 of birds!! 
At the end of 2021 I decided that 2022 was going to be my first real attempt at a 'Big Year', or at least the biggest big year I could really practically do.
A Big Year in simple terms is where bird watchers/enthusiasts spend the year attempting to see and identify as many different species of birds in the wild as possible. There are leader tables that include the US & Canada and Worldwide birders but the traditional Big Year can end up being terrible for the environment, of which is home to the beautiful birds being spotted, due to the amount of travel undertaken, including numerous flights throughout the year.

That being said, my Big Year will probably seem like a very Little Year to many as I only stuck to my home counties as well as a couple of places we drove to on small holidays. I have neither the time nor money to dedicate a full 365 to doing nothing but travelling the width and breadth of the UK (or world!) in search of birds but I can still compete with myself and previous years haha!
Some people also count birds they have physically seen, however, I am only counting those who I have photographed. There were a few awesome bird encounters had in 2022 that were sadly not caught on camera, but that's just tough ha.

In 2020 my annual total was 34, with 4 more at 38 in 2021. See the birds I photographed in both 2020 and 2021 in the posts below. 

The Birds of 2020:

The Birds of 2021:





--




--

--













--

--

--

--



Birds Photographed in August!
Common Pigeon
Jackdaw
Kittiwake  (juvenile)
Pied Wagtail
Kittiwake  (adults)
Robin  (juvenile)
Blackbird
Spotted Flycatcher
Stonechat
Stonechat  (juvenile)
Song Thrush
Cormorant 
Gannet
Chaffinch
Wood Pigeon
Buzzard
House Sparrow
Robin  (adult)
Total - 15
Yearly Total - 58


Species of the Year so far:
Carrion Crow
Herring Gull
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Blackbird
Black Headed Gull
Fulmar
European Robin
Common Starling
Common Pigeon
House Sparrow
Collared Dove
Wood Pigeon
Dunnock
Blue Tit
Great Tit
Cormorant
Jackdaw
Raven
Release Dove (White Rock Dove/Common Pigeon)
Goldfinch
Chaffinch
Wren
Blackbird
Partridge
Red Kite 
Mallard
Grey Wagtail
Robin
Moorhen
Mute Swan
Coot
Canary
Bantam Chicken
Pheasant
Emden Goose
Turkey
Coal Tit
Eider Duck
Puffin
Guillemot
Razorbill
Gannet
Sand Martins
Rock Pipit
Kittiwake
Swallow
Buzzard
Bullfinch
Pied Wagtail
Magpie
Curlew
Sandpiper
Oystercatcher
Pink Footed Goose
Grey Heron
Spotted Flycatcher
Stonechat
Song Thrush



Back to another bird-filled month and adding another 3 species to my annual total! 
We had our camping trip to the Rhinns of Galloway during this month that helped to add a few birding situations as well as our quick visit to Marsden Rock at the tail end of Kittiwake breeding season.
Sadly only a few weeks after this visit the beach was hit by bird flu which was absolutely heartbreaking. It's such an important area for seabirds and I can only hope not too many birds lost their lives. It makes me feel extra privileged to have seen and photographed all of the beautiful birds that I do.
Until next time...


No comments:

Post a Comment