Monday 23 October 2023

What I Read Last Quarter // July - September



I don't know what happened with this post, but I apparently just completely forgot about it! So, evidently, the third quarter of 2023 is well past and this is that reading round-up.

In the second quarter, I read 4,433 pages across 15 books.
Of those ten were 5-star reads (!), four were 4-stars and the remaining one was 3-stars.
At the start of the year, I decided to work on the 10 BIG Books I Want to Read in 2023 and so far of those, I have now read three, unhauled one and fingers crossed I can cross off at least one more in the following quarter. I'll include an overall update on that in the new year.

-----

July
Sky (The Huntress Trilogy #2) by Sarah Driver     ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories #1) by Chris Colfer     ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
When the Sky Falls by Phil Earle     ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

- 1,142 pages

This was a heavier reading month, which sounds laughable considering the books are all still children's books but two of the three definitely have a more serious tone. The Huntress Trilogy is something I feel needs more acknowledgement, although I've only read the first two books I cannot wait to get around to the third and think they could make a fantastic movie series!


------

August
A Clock of Stars: The Shadow Moth by Francesca Gibbons     ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Aru Shah and the End of Time by Roshani Chokshi     ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Nura and the Immortal Palace by M.T. Khan    ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

- 1,152 pages

Another book ticked off my '10 BIG Books...' list with A Clock of Stars this month!
I don't know what it is but bigger books end up meaning I read fewer total pages as they take me longer to read. Maybe it's because we primarily read in bed and due to the weight of the book I read a little less per night...?


-----

September
The Housetrap by Emma Read     ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
The Ash House by Angharad Walker     ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Fablehouse by E.L. Norry     ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
The Haunted Hills by Berlie Doherty     ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

- 1,273 pages

Rounding out the quarter with a whole host of houses! A living puzzle house, a mysterious, somewhat sinister house, a house surrounded in folklore and legend and a house in the hills with ghosts! Phew!

 
-----

Continuing on with the 'themed' TBR lists July was meant to be Land and Sky - I did have another book on the list for this month but didn't get around to it - August was Time, and September's theme was books with the word house in the title (The final book had a house on the cover, which I squeezed in at the end of the month!). I'm really enjoying this way of organizing my reading as it helps me get to some books that I really want to read but somehow tend to bypass. 

Looking back I also can't believe how highly rated the past three months ended up too! So many wonderful books that prove that the middle-grade/children's genre is incredibly diverse, interesting, fun and not just for kids!

See what I read earlier this year:
What I Read Last Quarter // January - March
What I Read Last Quarter // April - June




No comments:

Post a Comment