Monday 8 January 2024

12 Days Wild // Part 1

 


This is the second year of 12 Days Wild, and my second year taking part too! 12 Days Wild is a winter wildlife challenge held by the home of the longer, summer challenge 30 Days Wild, The Wildlife Trusts. As stated on their website, The Wildlife Trusts have 'For more than a century we have been saving wildlife and wild places, increasing people’s awareness and understanding of the natural world, and deepening people’s relationship with it.' If you are unaware of them and their work I recommend visiting their website, https://www.wildlifetrusts.org/, which is home to a wealth of information surrounding nature, wildlife and how we can help it.

In last year's post, I prefaced this challenge with the caveat I'm already living a rather wild life. A life that places the natural world in high regard and that includes some sort of action or thought for the wild world every single day. So really this is more of a challenge for me. It gives me the opportunity and motivation to step outside of my usual daily wildness and help with the depression that looms over me, not because of the ecological season but because of the season of life I'm stuck in.
That being said these photos probably could have been much wilder, but this was the first half of my 12 Days Wild 2023/4.

Check out last year's 12 Days Wild < here!




















Day 1 - 25th December 2023
Oh, how this wild challenge was needed! It's been about 8 years I've taken part in 30 Days Wild and I think I've joined in every winter 12 Days Wild so far. With how depressing December is, this little project does wonders for me.

We had a lovely nature walk at Beamish Woods, spotting fungi, following the stream, and listening to the elusive birds. There were lots of squirrel sightings too, however, no opportunity to photograph any wildlife as it seems a popular dog walking route and so everything thankfully stays high up in the tree tops. We were able to take our monthly portrait while out and I also wore my wellies for the first time since getting them a month or two ago.








Day 2 - 26th December 2023
Time got away from us this year and we didn't get around to sorting the gardens for winter, until today. We have obviously had a few frosts and a big snow but recently it's been sitting between 5-12°C and we're only 5 days into the season so hopefully we've not done any damage.

Most of the gardening was just removing dead plants and using the dead foliage, leaves etc to bulk out under bushes/bare places to provide homes for any buggies and other wildlife over winter anyway.
 There is still life though. Crocus shoots and other little green sprouts are poking through the soil. Woodlice, worms and this big green caterpillar were rudely interrupted by us, but quickly returned to their rightful places. The daily Robin visitor was quick to check out what we were doing too.

Excitingly we noticed the Hawthorn bush we planted in May 2020 has had berries for the very first time this year, though only 2. Fingers crossed there were more that have been eaten as it was the reason we chose to plant it in the first place.
It's crazy how little effects of climate change are already evident and the record temperatures are changing the timings in the garden. Sadly, the seasons aren't what they were, but we'll try to adapt and help nature thrive as much as we can.


Day 3 - 27th December 2023
Its been some wild weather today! The high winds have thankfully not fully returned but it didn't stop raining at all.
It's funny because many coin this 'miserable' weather, but what makes wet weather sad and sunny weather happy? Water is just as important as light, if not more so.

I took a minute to stand outside with my head to the sky and let the raindrops fall on me this morning. I appreciate living in a place where water isn't as scarce as some places in the world, though I wish people didn't take it so for granted.

From water shortages due to climate change and population increase to pollution from multiple different sources, our water is precious and it's important we are conscious of how much we use. It's easy to turn on a tap and not think about it, but we all need to cut down on waste usage and consume water wisely as deficits are predicted in the next 25 years.











Day 4 - 28th December 2023
As is keeping with my daily routine, this morning I fed the birds. Like clockwork, my flock of Pigeons are on the roof waiting for me to go out with the food and water and then they all come flying down.

We have numerous feeding stations across our two gardens and I spend a huge amount of time watching all the visitors. Birds mean an incredible amount to me, as silly as it sounds I don't know what I'd do without them!
Today I sat on the front step to photograph those who stopped by, as well as took some shots through the kitchen window. The photos are unfortunately not very good, however, it's always a joy to spend time with them all.

This morning we had Blue Tit, House Sparrow, Dunnock, Robin, Starling, Blackbird, Pigeon and Magpie. (Not all pictured.)







Day 5 - 29th December 2023
A sunrise litter pick on my street. Sadly we live somewhere where most people have no respect for anything or anyone and littering is a huge problem.
Every couple of weeks I go out back and do a small litter pick to try and eradicate at least some of the rubbish ruining our local environment.

As I finished up, the sun was starting to rise so I got to enjoy the coloured sky for a while before heading back inside.











Day 6 - 30th December 2023
I struggle to leave the house alone because of my Autism, but then again being stuck at home all day is a struggle too.
Outside with the birds is healing for me, so after a particularly anxious few days I forced myself to go on a solo walk this afternoon.
It was difficult to get out the door and past other people, but once I was down by the Don I relaxed.

 Never underestimate what a lovely 3-mile rainy walk can do for you.
Mallards, Teal, Mute Swan, Shelduck, Red Shank, Moorhen and Crows were my company.

-----

And that was days 1 - 6 of 12 Days Wild 2023/4! Keep an eye out in the next week or so for part 2!
If you have taken part I'd love to hear about what you got up to and if you enjoyed this and are interested in more wildness check out my 30 Days Wild posts below!

Check out 2023's posts here: 
30 Days Wild 2023 - Week 1 
30 Days Wild 2023 - Week 2
30 Days Wild 2023 - Week 3
30 Days Wild 2023 - Week 4

Check out 2022's posts below:
30 Days Wild // Week 1
30 Days Wild // Week 2
30 Days Wild // Week 3
30 Days Wild // Week 4

And for 2021's posts, see here:
30 Days Wild 2021 // Week 1
30 Days Wild 2021 // Week 2
30 Days Wild 2021 // Week 3
30 Days Wild 2021 // Week 4


No comments:

Post a Comment