Saturday 2 July 2022

30 days Wild // Week 4

 


Welcome to the final week, Week 4 of 30 Days Wild!
30 Days Wild happens annually in June, run by The Wildlife Trusts and is to encourage us to get out and take part in 'Random Acts Of Wildness' every day of the month. Unless you are completely new here you will know we are a very wild family, to begin with! However, it's not only an excuse to share nature and wildlife-themed photos every single day of my project 365  but it is also a fun way to mix up my wildness to include things other than just my obsession with photographing every bird that enters my garden haha.

Just as I did last year I shared each week here as well as daily on my Instagram.

See last week's post here >> 30 days Wild // Week 3

Check out Week 4 of 30 Days Wild from last year, 2021, here >> 30 Days Wild // Week 4


---


Day 22
World Rainforest Day.

 As I don't live in a country home to the beautiful rainforests of our planet we decided a normal forest and wildlife walk would suffice today.
We visited a new reserve today and it was brimful of wonderful wildlife, including lots of babies!
 Mallard, Buzzard, Grey Wagtail, Mute Swan, Coot, Moor Hen, Common Tern, Robin, Bullfinch, Raven, Wood Pigeon, Dunnock,
a rabbit, bees, butterflies, dragonflies and probably more I'm forgetting!
It was an eventful and lovely visit and I'll share the rest of the photos and story of in another blog post soon.

They may not be in our country, but we need to protect the Rainforests!
Home to millions of animals and a pivotal cog in the climate change emergency, please do what you can to help













Day 23
Housing Bugs.

We got a new bug hotel for the front garden and today we have nestled it below our
Hawthorn bushes which are in front of our wild lawn!
The Birdsfoot trefoil in our wild lawn is a big bee attractor and lots of other bugs love
to flock to the wild lawn in general so hopefully, they'll make use of the hotel eventually.





Day 24
Our rain dance worked!

We got rain and we went back out to dance in it - literally 🌧️.
It's been so hot and dry, the water butt was empty and I've had to refill the bird baths thrice a day and we really needed a downpour!
Rain is so, so important!!
I think people take for granted where our water supplies come from.
They turn on the tap, flush the toilet and have a shower without half a thought of where the water came from.
I hope plenty more rain comes next week to help water our plants and provide puddles for the wildlife.






Day 25
Our mini pond is done!

Well, it's started.
I've been meaning to get this in for a while so although it's not exactly how I want it yet, it is at least in using what we already had.
I'll add to it a little over the coming weeks and work out what is best but the main aspects are there -
water and exit points for anyone who needs them.
I chose to put it at the opposite end of the garden to the wildflower lawn as this spot is sheltered
and shaded by our little cherry tree and has a small patch of other wildflowers under it.
The water looks murky because there are pebbles in the bottom and I couldn't want for it all to settle before getting a photo obviously...

Another wild book was also finished today!
The Wild Before by Piers Torday.
Again a book for those of us who are environmentalists as well as for those who are not yet... 🌍




Day 26
3-Year Houseiversary.

As of today, we've lived here for 3 years and I've taken a photo each year to show the progress of our garden.
I decided to take a photo from Baker's bedroom window too, to show the garden a little better. Obviously, we're country folks stuck living suburban-ly, so we do what we can with the spaces we have.

We like to allow the Elder bush to grow and cover our kitchen window to provide some privacy,
as well as let us watch the little birds eat and play from our dining table!
Sadly, the neighbour took a huge chunk out of it for some reason...2 meters over the fence/property line but they didn't trim any of the rest of it, nor do they ever prune their overgrown roses.
Anyway, although it can't be seen we have had to insert a trellis for privacy as it meant our kitchen was fully visible from their windows and I don't fancy that!

The Cherry tree on the right-hand side also grows in size each year and it's wonderful to see its progress in each of our annual photos.
When we moved in, the whole front garden was just grass right up to the wall,
so we dug in a border and we planted the Hawthorn bush in 2020 - which is coming on wonderfully!
Some of the garden gets mowed to allow space for the wildlife to eat and bath etc, and a patch is left to grow wild which the bees, birds and everything in between seems to love. 
The whole garden doesn't seem very colourful in these photos but in the coming weeks the
Hydrangea will be in full bloom and we've already seen the end of the bright spring blooms.
If I could lift the house and gardens and drop it somewhere rural it would be pretty good. 





Day 27th 
Rockpooling.

Another early morning, solo exploration at Marsden Bay.
I also managed to squeeze in a nature mandala for this year as last year I made one from found feathers and the year before from petals and plants from my garden!

It's a little sad climbing across the rockpools in 2022, because as I child who grew up on the coast it was a common activity in the 90s for me and it's highly noticeable the reduction in tidal pool creatures or life.
I did spot a few winkles, the odd anemones and the remnants of one bird's lunch - a single crab, as well as this sea slater but other than that all was rather still.
The Kittiwakes have dropped some eggshells and from the few little noises I could hear between the adults, I think babies are here.
I couldn't see any but some parents were swooping in with food for the other...
I love a Wagtail too, so it was a nice goodbye to see this Pied guy gathering food near my car as I left.













Day 28 
My extended family 🖤

I love all the beautiful array of British birds that choose to frequent my garden and I'll never not be excited to see any living creature, especially at home.
Of course, we also get smaller birds not pictured today, but I want to appreciate the unappreciated.
I'm feeling a bit sad that 30 Days Wild is coming to and end... but then I remember that pretty much every day in this house is a wild day.
My gardens evolve each passing month and I'm proud to welcome those that others may deem a nuisance.













Day 29
The Penultimate Day.

The last Wednesday (Mr H's only day off) of 30 Days Wild and we decided to visit St Paul's Monastery.
 We also took a walk along part of the River Don, past Jarrow Bridge and got soaked by the wet grass.
 We got to see a lovely little Squirrel, hug some awesome old trees and added an Oystercatcher
and Curlew to my 'spotted' list for this month, bringing my total species seen in June to 41!











Day 30
😢 It's all over.

30 Days Wild is done.
However, as I said the other day, pretty much every day is a wild day in the Hallow Household.
Today started with a fantastic rain shower helping to top up our water butt, and this lovely snail was exploring the garden.
I thought it'd be cool to end the month as we started with a big wild breakfast, so as my parents were down they joined Baker, a Robin and me for toast in the garden.
We then drove over to the cemetery to leave one of my painted stones for Grandma.
A ladybird welcomed us as we tidied the place up.
As we had a walk through the trees to visit my great-grandparents' grave, a Jackdaw landed to pose with my grandma's grave perfectly in the background.
Although I didn't get a photo, I also saw a Treecreeper (taking my bird species spotted in June to 42!).
 Ending the day was a moth on our backdoor while I took Baker out for the toilet.
Moths and Butterflies are a big phobia of mine so it takes courage to photograph them haha.

That concludes my 6th year taking part in 30 Days Wild! 🐌🐦🐞🦋









This month has completely flown by. As has the rest of the year thus far. I had so many ideas and plans for this project, some of which I've done and others that I'll keep to do later in the year. 
We don't need one month or a specific challenge to make us think of mother nature and you will see many more posts on this blog, past and present, related to our wild world. 
There have been multiple days this month that had a whole host of photos, but I had to limit each day to a maximum of 10 photos. That means there are many blog posts to come with all the other photos from those days! Including our Boat Trip to the Farne Islands, Marsden Rock and more.

Until next time...

Check out the rest of this year's 30 Days Wild posts below:

No comments:

Post a Comment