
This is my 10th year taking part in The Wildlife Trusts 30 Days Wild and
my 6th year documenting it here. I've actually annoyed myself by
looking back at my previous year's posts because as my health continues
to change the way I live my life, there is no way that this year will be
able to live up to those past and as the challenge gains momentum,
becoming more mainstream, it tends to become a competition.
It's like
everything I've been a part of from Cats Protections Craft for Cats, to
using the Birda App to document my birding sessions - the more popular
they become and numbers of participants increase the less fun it
becomes. You have the show-offs, the know it alls, the people who have
no clue but are doing it because it's trendy, and that all makes for an
uncomfortable and unfriendly environment in the online communities.
That's why I tend to keep to myself and do my hobbies solo, eliminating
the possibility of the enjoyment being sucked out of things.
Each
year I've found it increasingly difficult to navigate 30 Days Wild as
it is, because I see it more as a challenge to encourage those less
Nature-minded to get more connected with their wild side. For me, I am
already immensely entwined with the wild world. We are all a part of
Nature, and I live my life with Mother Nature as a member of the family,
one of my highest priorities and I am doing things that are
'challenges' during 30 Days Wild multiple times a week, if not per day!
That being said, what is second nature to me, isn't something I always
think is worthy of being documented. So...that's where I am with 30 Days
Wild. Year 10 may end up being my last as it becomes more of a chore
than something to enjoy these days.
Taking all of this into account, here is week 4 of my 10th year.
(See Week 1 here > 30 Day Wild 2026 // Week 1
Week 2 here > 30 Day Wild 2026 // Week 2
and Week 3 here > 30 Day Wild 2026 // Week 3 )









22nd June - Day 22
On the hunt for life! As so much in the gardens seems to be dying off, I made a point to look for the life today.
The second to last photo is the pupa of a Marmalade Hoverfly! So cool!










23rd June - Day 23
The first couple photos are a bit random, but we noticed an upstairs gutter was blocked and when we pulled it out there was a slug and worm friend who we promptly relocated to ground level!
While there I also noticed a few plants that were in seed - the variety is so cool.
Then Mr H repotted some of the greenhouse goodies while I planted some more seeds from the trees that the council cut down. I've used a few different methods with all of the seeds in the hopes that even one is successful. While planting I spied a Ladybird in need to assistance - it seemed to have gotten some spiderweb stuck on itself and couldn't fully open its wings to fly. I soon have them cleaned up and on their way.








24th June - Day 24
Water is life. It's a phrase I have repeated like a broken record but its true.
I provide a range of water sources in my gardens for everything from the birds and hedgehogs to foxes and pollinators. It's not only important to provide water, but to keep it clean so here are the baths after their wash and also straight after in use!

25th June - Day 25
The Fish Doorbell is a live stream of a lock in Utrecht, The Netherlands. It is on a canal where many fish need to swim through each Spring to their spawning grounds and so that they can reach their destination they need to pass through the Weerdsluis, a historic, hand-operated lock. When it's closed it obviously means the fish can't pass and so have to wait for it to open...making them more susceptible to predation and of course wastes their energy. So an underwater webcam was installed that the public can help to observe and press a virtual doorbell to alert the lock keeper, who in turn opens the lock!
I've watched it many times in the past and never seen a fish, however I tried my luck today and saw so many! I was very lucky because this is the very tail end of the season and I was excited to help the stragglers through.




26th June - Day 26
An almighty Thunder and Lightening storm passed over today...but you'd never have been able to tell this evening when the skies were blue and the wispy clouds made shapes. I love cloud spotting.




27th June - Day 27
The Small White Butterflies have returned!!! I took some time to sit and just watch them flit about checking out the Nasturtiums...I do hope the eggs come soon and that this year our Caterpillars are successful as they were the year before.

28th June - Day 28
The Sun may be too hot to sit outside and read, but I read my 'Wild' themed books (photo to come) indoors this month and even though the curtains were closed the sun still managed to peek through my sun-catcher and send rainbows over the living room.






29th June - Day 29
We planted out the Teasels into the wild lawn this morning and noticed more daily changes, including the Buddleia starting to flower and so many other things going to seed.
Our pals waited patiently for us to finish up and get their food!






30th June - Day 30
To end out the month, I had to put together a Nature Mandala!
It's not what I had in mind, but it seems at this point of the month (after the unseasonal, horrid temperatures) there aren't many options for plants to use.
---
No comments:
Post a Comment