
This is my 10th year taking part in The Wildlife Trusts 30 Days Wild and my 6th year documenting it here. I've actually annoyed myself by looking back at my previous year's posts because as my health continues to change the way I live my life, there is no way that this year will be able to live up to those past and as the challenge gains momentum, becoming more mainstream, it tends to become a competition.
It's like everything I've been a part of from Cats Protections Craft for Cats, to using the Birda App to document my birding sessions - the more popular they become and numbers of participants increase the less fun it becomes. You have the show-offs, the know it alls, the people who have no clue but are doing it because it's trendy, and that all makes for an uncomfortable and unfriendly environment in the online communities. That's why I tend to keep to myself and do my hobbies solo, eliminating the possibility of the enjoyment being sucked out of things.
Each year I've found it increasingly difficult to navigate 30 Days Wild as it is, because I see it more as a challenge to encourage those less Nature-minded to get more connected with their wild side. For me, I am already immensely entwined with the wild world. We are all a part of Nature, and I live my life with Mother Nature as a member of the family, one of my highest priorities and I am doing things that are 'challenges' during 30 Days Wild multiple times a week, if not per day! That being said, what is second nature to me, isn't something I always think is worthy of being documented. So...that's where I am with 30 Days Wild. Year 10 may end up being my last as it becomes more of a chore than something to enjoy these days.
Taking all of this into account, here is week 1 of my 10th year. It's rather underwhelming haha!

June 1st - Day 1
To be completely transparent, we litter picked our street on May 31st and on June 1st I had a major flare with my disability and so decided to use my photo from the day before for Day 1. Not the best start haha.
Litter is one of my biggest repulsions. There is no excuse, there is no reason, it is downright laziness, disrespect and disgusting behaviour. You're polluting your own environment and whether it is inside or outside the bubble of your house is beside the point. I also believe that people who walk past rubbish without picking it up are also part of the problem. When we walk by and say 'well it's not my rubbish', we're saying 'it's not my problem'. No matter who dumped their waste at their backside we need to rise above and work together to look after our planet.
Also - to the neighbours everywhere who pick something from their garden and throw it into their neighbours or across the fence and into the street, what is stopping you from putting it in your own bin?








June 2nd - Day 2
I was feeling slightly better today and was able to get back outside for my daily routines (with some help!) and noticed how many Elder flowers had already been shaken from the bush in the wind. I love the confetti it leaves everywhere and gathered up a small amount to take in to press. I've been using a beautiful notebook to house my pressed flowers and finished off a couple of pages before getting tired and needing to rest again.










June 3rd - Day 3
Noticing the life and how quickly it changes!




June 4th - Day 4
Something I do every single morning is go out into the front garden, check all the water sources, clean and refill where needed and feed my flock. We get many species, but our routine breakfast crew are pigeons. It changes from day to day how many we get, at the most we've had approximately 50 in our small space, but no matter how many turn up, I appreciate that they feel safe in our garden.
With any routine, it's easy to get used to and something we can forget to be in the moment with. So this morning I sat on the doorstep for a while just watching everyone eat. A lone Starling came by as well to have a bath.
Later today I popped onto the Bank of England website to vote for the creatures I'd like to see on our bank notes. It was disappointing to see some underappreciated animals missing from the line up, and it was more difficult than I thought to choose, but I'm excited to see who wins the polls!















For today's photos I wanted to share our own little environment and the space we've created to try and help as much as we can in our own small way. I'll show more detail of individual things throughout this month but for now I am thankful for the privilege of having gardens.


June 6th - Day 6
An unexpected wild act today...yet another trip to the wildlife rescue, though thankfully not due to shooting this time. This poor young Magpie was picked on by a Jackdaw and it's eye (not shown in the photo) was badly injured. It seems upon further investigation that it's left eye had an issue, likely from birth, which has made it an 'easy target'.
Please take the small amount of time out of your day if you see an animal in need. Don't always assume things will work out, because to have left this Magpie was a death sentence and a slow, painful one at that. Of course, it's important to know when not to step in too!











June 7th - Day 7
Working with the gardens is a favourite activity of mine. I say it like that because we don't do 'gardening' in the typical sense and instead just allow the gardens to do their thing for the most part, with the slightest helping hand.
After No Mow May, today we went out and trimmed the edge of the front lawn and a 'path' through the middle to allow access to the bird baths. I've read a bit about how desire paths and the changing of grass lengths can benefit biodiversity and encourage different plant life to flourish, so hopefully these small paths are a helpful addition to the wild lawn and not just for our bird bath access.
We also planted some Allium and Fuchsias in a planter outside our back gate recently and decided to add some Marigolds for colour today while the other plants establish.
See also some of the friends we encountered today in the gardens.
---
30 Days Wild 2025 // Week 1
30 Days Wild 2025 // Week 2
30 Days Wild 2025 // Week 3
30 Days Wild 2025 // Week 4
30 Days Wild 2024 - Part 1
30 Days Wild 2024 - Part 2
30 Days Wild 2024 - Part 3
You can find 2023's post here:
And for 2021's posts, see here:
No comments:
Post a Comment