Wednesday 18 January 2023

Coal & Ice - Woodhorn Museum, Ashington

 



Back in mid-November I somehow happened upon an event that was going to be at Woodhorn Museum in January. All I needed to hear was 'animal-themed' and 'climate change' and I asked Mr H if we could go! 
As stated on their website, Woodhorn Museum is ''located in what was once the largest pit village in the world, the former colliery is now home to our popular visitor attraction''. I've been many times over the years, including when the Weeping Window Poppies toured in 2015 and it was a place I wanted to share with Mr H for a while so I grabbed tickets straight away and was excited for the 5th of January!

As I've mentioned many times, we are still very careful when it comes to being out in public so I was (as always) a bit anxious, but with our masks on and the time slot system being pretty great, it was a lot less stressful than expected.
We had a lovely walk around together, I managed to hold back too many tears, and below are some of the photos I managed to get...

Visit Woodhorn Museum's website here!






























The juxtaposition of an ice sculpture trail event highlighting climate change being held in an old colliery I feel was a really special angle. A place that was so important to the local area, a huge part of life for so many, yet obviously also contributed to such a sad impact on our environment now doing its bit to help fight the climate crisis is fantastic to see.

As for the sculptures themselves, I loved the diversity of animals featured and the places and ways they were displayed. To see them slowly dripping as they melted was heartbreaking, something I hope people noticed and I hope it hit home as to how quickly time is running out, for not only these precious creatures but for our planet in general. It was a breath of fresh air to see things like going vegan actually being promoted and all the other ways in which people can help - I hope that visitors appreciated the meaning behind the trail and will have found inspiration to make a positive change in their lives. 


If you'd like to look into things you can do for our planet, check out some more related blog posts below:
All Vegan Food Posts
10 Ways to Save the Planet that Cost You Nothing
5 Easy Eco Swaps
All Eco Journey Posts


No comments:

Post a Comment