Monday 9 January 2023

What We Ate This Veganuary // Week 1

 


Veganuary - try vegan in January. It's that simple. Obviously, we are already vegan but I enjoy sharing vegan food ideas on this blog and it gives me an excuse to shout about veganism to everyone even more.
I don't know how long I've been vegan. Many people seem to know the exact date they made the change, however for me, it was quite gradual. I grew up eating chicken, bacon, cheddar cheese and chocolate. I went vegetarian around 2014 and in the following few years phased out milk and butter to vegan alternatives and then eventually the same happened with cheese (which was mainly only eaten on pizza anyway). Finally, after moving in with Mr H we both made the decision to finally bite the bullet and I cut out chocolate. Of course, there have been odd moments where chocolate or ice cream or a normal cheese pizza was consumed - no one is perfect - but I guess you could say I've been vegan for around 4 years. 

I'm also neurodivergent and grew up an extremely picky eater. Though I have gotten much better in the past 4 years (half due to veganism, the other half due to being married to a chef), I still find meal ideas and vegan recipes to be overly complicated or just downright gross. You don't have to live on tofu, chickpeas, mushrooms and cauliflower FYI!!

Anyway, just as we did in 2021 we're going to share what we eat during Veganuary this year. 
I'll only be sharing our joint evening meal as it is the main food of the day. It's nothing special and a good representation of our actual daily diets - hopefully, it will inspire you to try vegan when you see how easy and yummy it is!


Day 1 - Pumpkin Soup
Made from the Pumpkin I carved for New Year! 


Day 2 - Wraps and Potatoes
The cupboards were bare and dying for a food shop so this was a scavenged meal.
Cous Cous and black-eyed beans, seasoned, in wraps with some our staple 'nice tatoes' which are boiled potatoes with garlic and parsley.


Day 3 - Spaghetti
We'd been away for most of the day and was able to pop into a shop and grab a packet of gluten-free spaghetti, broccoli and a loaf of tiger bread so that made for a filling tea with some vegan cheese.


Day 4 - Roast Veg
Some fried potatoes rounds along with garlic roasted sprouts, broccoli and peas!


Day 6 - Burger and Chips
My favorite burgers are the Quorn hot and spicy burgers and are pretty much the only ones I will eat. Texture is a huge thing for me and many of the vegan alternatives are too like real meat which I don't like at all. 
Mr H made some homemade chips too and we had a side of mushy peas. Mine in a separate pot because I can't have them touching anything else haha!


Day 7 - Breakfast for Dinner
I had planned for a more veg-focused meal tonight but it was a rubbish day with some bad news so a comfort meal was called for in the form of breakfast for dinner.
Vegan bacon, even though it may not look appealing, is SO good and I love it crispy. 

-----

You may have noticed that Day 5 is missing. We actually had a Dominos as they had buy one get one free on pizzas and it actually included vegan pizzas. It was alright. I feel like the person working must have been new and had no idea how to make pizza but it filled a hole!

----------


Check out my Veganuary posts from 2021 here and you can find all Vegan Food Idea posts here.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment