Wednesday 13 July 2022

What I Read Last Quarter // April - June

 



Another quarter has whizzed past and so has my time for reading! I do read at least once, every single day. When we go to bed on an evening we both spend as much time as we can reading to wind down and make our eyes tired. Sometimes that is only a few minutes and therefore only a few pages, other nights we have to force ourselves to put our books down! Depending on the day I aim to read at other opportunities too. I take my book with me in the car just in case, I try to sit in the garden with Baker to get some fresh air and get a few pages in at the same time and some mornings if my to-do list isn't too big, I'll squeeze in a chapter between 7-8 when I get home from dropping Mr H off! 

All that being said, it shows in these updates below when I have been busier than usual! Here is what I read during April, May and June.

Check out what I read during the first quarter of 2022 here > What I Read Last Quarter // January - March


April
The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
The Mesmerist by Ronald L. Smith ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
The Whizz Pop Chocolate Shop by Kate Saunders ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Mary Poppins Comes Back by P.L. Travers ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Rumaysa: Ever After Radiya Hafiza ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

- 1,296 pages

A fantastic reading month! 5 wonderful books, 2 that were so good I struggle to describe them. I've held off reading The One and Only Ivan for years because I knew how sad I would be reading it, but it was a complete mix of heart-wrenching and warming. To also quickly touch on Rumaysa - love, love, love! I want more. I adored the first book and enjoyed this one just as much, if not more. I find it so refreshing and important to have ancient tales retold with diverse representation!


May
The Return of the Psammead by Helen Cresswell ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Escape From Aurora by Jamie Littler ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
The Imagination Chamber: Cosmic Rays From Lyra's Universe by Philip Pullman ⭐️⭐️

- 793 pages

Looking back on what I all did in May, I can't really say why my reading dropped a little. I do know that, although I very much enjoyed it and it includes a lot of fantastic illustrations, I did take a little longer reading Escape From Aurora at an astonishing 19 days for just shy of 500 pages. 


June
The Bedlam Stacks by Natasha Pulley [DNF'D @ 85pages]
The Last Bear by Hannah Gold ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
The Lost Whale by Hannah Gold ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Julia and the Shark by Kiran Millwood Hargrave ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
The Wild Before by Piers Torday ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

- 1,189

Finally, in June I got back in the swing. Well, 9 days in I did anyway. I had started the month reading The Bedlam Stacks, but after 9 days and only 85 pages in I called it a day to read something different. Given it was 30 Days Wild I gravitated to a stack of books that have been dying to get to and as you can see they were all outstanding. 
Hannah Gold is an award winner for a reason! The Last Bear and The Lost Whale have brought climate change and the issues our world and wildlife face to another audience in a heartfelt, fictional story. I hope this will help more kids and parents alike care about and make changes in their lives to save our planet and precious wildlife.


---


Another 3 months done. 12 books completed and 3,278 pages read. 1 book and 93 pages less than January - March, though the number of books is relative considering size and the like. At one point I would force myself to finish any book I started, even if I wasn't enjoying it and therefore it took me longer to get through. Now I've decided I have to let myself just 'DNF'* something I am struggling to get through! You'll see that the majority of what I read is middle grade and I'm sure I'll have spoken about that subject before. I don't care what age a book is given, I read about things I love - animals, magic and anything weird and wonderful...which is evident in so many 5 stars across this post!

As I write this I am currently 74% of the way to my goal of 35 books for the year and with having had so many exciting new books enter our home recently, I'm hoping to step my reading up and smash that as soon as possible, perhaps even getting me to my usual annual total... 

What have you been reading lately??
Until next time...



* Did Not Finish 

No comments:

Post a Comment