Friday 23 December 2022

Winter Solstice at Marsden Bay

 


(Belated) Happy Winter Solstice!
As of December 21st, the official first day of Winter, we're over the brow of the hill, and from here on the days will gradually get longer and nights shorter - welcome back daylight!

I like to acknowledge the turn of the seasons and take time out when I can to connect with Mother Nature and thank her for what she has done for me on those special days. This month I was lucky that Mr H finished work before it was dark and we took a drive down to one of my favorite places, Marsden Bay, so I could see my beloved sea, breathe in the salt air and walk barefoot on the Earth. 

The sun rises over this bay, so it sets in the opposite direction leaving the beach shadowed by the crumbling cliffs and there was little dull, hazy light that hovered over the horizon. I didn't expect to write a post about this little walk and that in combination with the ever-growing darkness I didn't take many photos, here are those I did. 

























No, the water wasn't freezing. Yes, you should try it. At any time of year, go and put your bare feet in the sea, a river, a lake, a stream. I cannot describe what it does for me apart from reverting to my usual nature-describing word - magic. 

It's so cool to spot the differences in bird species that frequent Marsden and The Leas throughout the months too. In Spring and Summer, we are very lucky to have a colony of Kittiwakes who nest on the cliffs, alongside Razorbills and Guillemots. We have Fulmar, Cormorant, Black-Backed Gulls, Sand Martins, and lots more! So when visiting in Winter it's sad not to see or hear many of them.
We did have the pleasure of spotting the underrated Herring Gull though as well as Oyster Catcher, Rock Pipit and something I've never seen this close to the coast - a Kestrel!

See that blurry green mess of a photo? We'd just walked back up the steep hill from the beach when a stunning bird pretty much fell to the floor about a meter to our left. By the time I'd picked up my jaw and lifted my camera...it was still there!! It sat just looking at us giving me more than enough time to snap a quick shot. So why don't I have one? My camera settings were set for a brighter scene and so it just wouldn't focus and I didn't have time to switch settings. Safe to say I was gutted and project Kestrel stalking ensued haha.

While following Kestrel's trail we actually walked a path we never had before and though she teased us, never coming close enough again for a proper photo, I did get a few distant shots of her and I'm just thankful to have seen her at all. This path also led to some new views for us and at one point you can see 4 different lighthouses; Souter Lighthouse to the South, South Shields & Tynemouth to the North and St Marys Lighthouse in Whitley Bay beyond that - pretty cool! 

It was just a short visit but a magical one. 
Until next time...


See more of Mystical Marsden here:
Exploring Marsden Bay
Exploring Marsden Rock
Marsden Bay as the Tide Turns


No comments:

Post a Comment