
I'm opinionated, easily annoyed and don't understand many of the ways of neurotypical life. I'm not a nasty person, but with my Autism I do have a strong sense of justice and struggle to see the converse side to many of my views. For example, tr*mp is an evil excuse for a human and my brain cannot comprehend how anyone can believe any different, let alone cheer his terr*rism on. Or on a less drastic scale, what is the big whoop with London? Like, why do most tourists from other countries focus on that one city...it can't only be for the Royal ties? Anyway...
This post will feature some less weighty, but equally unfathomable human acts or attitudes, included but not limited to language, obsessions and general ways of life. I've kept a list in my phone when one pops into my head and I understand that many may lift an eyebrow or two, however the title speaks for itself in that these are insignificant things that annoy me personally and I cannot be found liable if you are offended!
You Mean 'Stray', not 'Feral'.
Feral does not mean stray, it means wild/not domesticated. Many stray cats are not scared of humans and can be interacted with, be rescued to be given health treatment and even rehomed. Feral cats are often very untrusting of humans and will avoid contact at all costs. Those who have been trapped for rescue can act 'ferocious' in their terror and although some can be tamed over time, others find it incredibly frightening to be around people. It's something I've noticed a lot in recent years, the word feral being used in place of stray, and it annoys me.
TVs Don't Belong in Bedrooms.
With the caveat that I am not including bed-bound, disabled, chronically ill, or people with other medical conditions which may mean they spend a lot (or even all) of their time in their bedrooms, nor people whose living situations mean that their bedrooms also function as a living space, I don't think TVs need to be in bedrooms. In a time where screens are so prevalent in every day life, there should be more places that they aren't allowed. A bedroom is for sleeping. TV is a stimulant. They don't go.
Saucepan.
Just the word. Not a fan of it. From people pronouncing it 'saucepin', to the fact that it isn't only used for sauce... Annoys me.
The Titanic Obsession.
It's weird, is it not? The Titanic was a major disaster where so many lives were lost, yet people romanticise it. The obsession doesn't just surround the history, but also the movie, there are Titanic 'experiences', museums and restaurants?! There are people online who are convinced that they are reincarnated from a person who lost their lives during the tragedy. But worse yet, there are cruises that go to the site where the ship sank... The human brain is a strange thing, however the fascination with events where families lost loved ones is something I can't quite comprehend.
Plastic Garden Decor.
This one is more of an anger than annoyance because, not to sound redundant, I don't understand?! What do you mean you're installing plastic grass? The excuse of not wanting/ being able to cut a normal lawn is silly to me, because lawns in general are an outdated construct of the upper classes showing off. We don't need plain, short, square lawns...we need wild gardens that are full of life. I could string this whole point into a blog post of its own so moving on from lawns I argue that in an age of microplastics and plastic pollution I think there needs to be major regulation on the production of plastic 'tat', especially when there are sustainable alternatives. You want green plastic balls to hang by your front door? Try a hanging basket! You want something to cover your fence for decor or more privacy? Try an actual living climbing plant!
Decorate not Renovate.
Another word thing! As with the first point, I've noticed more and more people in the world online saying they are renovating their house and then they just do cosmetic upgrades like painting and changing their rug. That is decorating. To renovate is to 'repair and improve something, especially a building' or so says the Cambridge Dictionary. Renovating includes more intensive things like structural changes, electrics, plumbing, layouts etc.
Sunny Day = Loud Music?!
I always like to be outside, no matter the weather, but I understand that many people only like to spend time outside when it's sunny. What I don't understand is why they can't spent time outside without having music on so loud that other people have to listen to it too? You might prefer listening to crap music instead of the sounds of nature, but many of us like to hear the birds and leaves and everything in-between, so put a pair of headphones on or turn it down.
2-Tier School System
Having grown up going to a 3-tier school system, I was happily oblivious to the peculiarity that is the 2-tier system! That was until I (as an adult) met people from outside of my town and found out that First, Middle and High schools are not the norm?! Now, this doesn't effect me because I don't plan on re-doing school, nor will I ever have kids to send to said schools, however, I do find it really concerning that there is such a large age range going to school together. Kids grow up far too quickly already, they know/do things they shouldn't at younger and younger ages and go through educational stresses and bullying as it is.
As someone who was privileged enough to have a separate Middle School I have to say it is a great transitional point from little school before going into big school! Sadly 3-tier is becoming more rare than ever and after this year my own hometown is switching to the 2-tier stupidity!
No Helmets
No one wears helmets any more! Kids playing, adults commuting, cyclists, scooters, electric bikes and even motorbikes, it seems like an anomaly to spot someone protecting themselves. If you're cycling on a road and not wearing a helmet, you should be punished as not wearing a seat belt in a car would be.
Saying 'Scotland' Instead of the Town on City
When going away for a break in England you say ''I'm off to York for a few days'' or ''We're going for a holiday in Dorset'', but when it comes to (particularly Southern) people visiting somewhere in Scotland they are very vague. It's always referred to 'Scotland' as if it isn't also a massive country with many unique and varied places. I guess it's slightly similar to Africa in the way that people seem to think Africa is one country and not a whole gigantic continent.
---
I thought 10 was a nice number to leave it at. Perhaps there'll be a part 2 one day. As I say, I know that these are silly, unimportant non-issues (maybe minus the helmet thing because that is rather dangerous) but they just really grind my gears haha. Do you agree with any of them at all?
No comments:
Post a Comment