
In September 2019, Mr H and I started our own book blog; those posts are now merged with this blog, and in December 2019, I posted my very first quarterly reading round-up. I have continued to post quarterly summaries until this year, when I decided to switch to monthly posts.
Here is what I read in May 2026.Invasive Aliens: The Plants and Animals from Over There That Are Over Here by Dan Eatherley (Audio) 🌟🌟🌟🌟
This was an intriguing look at a range of non-native, plants and animals that call the UK home, sharing where they come from, how they got hear and the effects they are having on the ecosystems they are apart of. I listened to this rather than reading a physical copy and I enjoyed the way it was laid out and think that it flowed between species quiet well, that being said I can understand the reviews saying it didn't hold their attention as I know experiences differ vastly when reading vs listening.
Pests & Other Friends: Discover the True Nature of the Most Maligned Animals by Halsey Berryman 🌟🌟🌟🌟
A beautifully illustrated, wonderful insight into the animals people seem to hate the most. It is physically an absolutely stunning book, brimming with personality and makes those labelled 'pest's' shine, but also provides some great unbiased information on why they are villainized and why they are also worthy of respect. I did dock a star but to be fair that is my own issue because I pre-ordered not knowing this was by an American author and so of course it focused more on pests over the pond, whereas I'd been excited to read more about European species. (Apparently I didn't take in the Oposum and Raccoon on the front cover!)
Beauty of the Beasts: Rethinking Nature's Least Loved Animals by Jo Wimpenny (Tandem Physical/Audio) 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
This was actually another book I'd pre ordered and was so excited to get around to reading. It did not disappoint! Again, this was packed with information, so much so I've read some reviews saying that it read too much like multiple scientific papers strung together, however I didn't find it so. It was much easier to read than some more scientific books I've read and about a subject I'm evidently very interested in. There were many species highlighted throughout discussing why they have come to be seen in the light they are and then reframed to show them in another light - a light I wish everyone saw them in. This kind of stuff should be studied in schools...
The Sound of a Wild Snail Eating by Elisabeth Tova Bailey 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
A book I underestimated the power of! This has shot to the top of my list of favourites from recent years and I can't quiet explain why. I'm not usually a fan of memoir style reads, though this was excellently balanced with factual snail talk in an overall moving and compelling book. As a disabled person I felt I could somewhat relate to the author in a small way, especially in how much companionship I find from all the small creatures who visit me when I can't get out to visit the world.
Stowaway: The Disreputable Exploits of the Rat by Joe Shute 🌟🌟🌟🌟
Stowaway was well-rounded journey of the Rat and how it has 'conquered', for lack of a better word, (or not in some cases) the world. A wonderfully informative piece, sharing both sides of the coin for rats; the hows and whys to their villain story, the downsides to their presence and the ways in which the are used to benefit our species. It's refreshing to see someone reinforce my feelings on these intelligent, empathetic, sentient beauties who deserve to live their lives alongside humans. As someone going into this staunchly pro-rat, it was upsetting to read some of the chapters discussing pest control and the horrid ways in which this is done. However, it was eye opening to see the other side and fantastic to have more information being spread on how destructive and devastating poisons etc are.

Last year, I also had a stack of books that were laid out as daily,
weekly or even monthly 'chapters'. This year, the stack is taller. I
started six of those books in January, another three were added in February and I will rate and review them at
the end of the year.
Nature Writing for Every Day of the Year by Jane McMorland Hunter
Black History for Every Day of the Year by David Olusoga, Yinka Olusoga
Words for Life: To Boost Every Day of the Year by Susie Dent
Telling the Seasons: Stories, Celebrations and Folklore around the Year by Martin Maudsley
Urban Nature Every Day: Discover the Natural World on Your Doorstep Jane McMorland Hunter, Sally Hughes
Hettie Nettle's Handbook for Hedgewitches by Claire Barker
The Hidden Seasons: A Calendar of Nature's Clues and Signs by Tristan Gooley
The Wildlife Gardener's Almanac by Jackie Bennett
May Stats
May Pages - 912
Year-Long Reads Pages - 198
Total Pages - 1,110
Audio Listening Time - 5h 28m
Average Rating - 4.4 stars


No comments:
Post a Comment